A lot of it was revealed already
As Geoff continues to add more shows and reveal events under his belt, things are starting to look a little thinner. Although Gamescom Opening Night Live has the potential to give off the air of “the E3 of Europe,” today was largely reserved for games that were already shown off in some capacity; or came back with a marketing reboot after years-earlier reveals. It’s time for a Gamescom 2022 recap.
There was some cool stuff in there. The studio behind Moonbreaker smartly united with kinda-huge-deal author Brandon Sanderson to bring us a “Hearthstone meets XCOM” game; with a vibrant art style and a customizable mini painting element. No one expected a Killer Klowns from Outer Space adaptation — talk about a passion project! As far as big studio news goes, Sonic Frontiers got a release date from Sega, and another PlayStation 5 controller is on the way from Sony. The “one last thing” was Dead Island 2, which is out in February of 2023 and still looks like a Dead Island game.
There was some cool stuff there for Gamescom Opening Night Live to latch onto. Two hours worth of cool stuff? Well, rarely does any event justify two hours after E3 started to wane. If you missed it, you can pick out the stuff you’re interested in below.
Here’s a Gamescom 2022 recap:
- Gamescom opens up with a look at Everywhere
- The PlayStation 5 DualSense Edge controller is on the way
- Dune: Awakening is a survival MMO set on Arrakis
- New Tales from the Borderlands is only a few months away, here’s our first look
- Moving Out 2 announced, releasing next year
- The Lords of the Fallen, a reboot of Lords of the Fallen, is in development
- Sega may have leaked a November 8 release date for Sonic Frontiers (Update)
- We got a real look at the Dying Light 2: Bloody Ties DLC at Gamescom
- We will finally Return to Monkey Island on September 19
- Narrative adventure game Under the Waves is a “love letter to oceans”
- Here’s another look at Lies of P, the intriguing Pinocchio-inspired project
- Moonbreaker is Unknown Worlds’ new turn-based sci-fi strategy game
- Friends vs. Friends is a colorful card-based shooter
- Take on Gods and Monsters in Atlas Fallen, coming 2023
- Stranded: Alien Dawn is a marooned sim game from the Surviving Mars team
- Get ready for a Killer Klowns multiplayer horror game
- Scars Above could be a cool new sci-fi action adventure romp
- Harley Quinn, Clayface, and Mr. Freeze are set to rock the Gotham Knights
- Telltale’s The Expanse looks to take off in summer 2023
- Phantom Hellcat is a NieR-inspired action game involving a cursed theater
- Former Bethesda devs tease open-world RPG Wyrdsong
- Blacktail asks if you want to be a good or bad witch
- Where Winds Meet revealed with some gorgeous-looking action
- Hideo Kojima announces podcast exclusively for Spotify
- The Outlast Trials will have a closed beta over Halloween
- Do you have what it takes to make it to The Finals?
- Dead Island 2 re-emerges and sets a launch date for February 2023