Niflheim is generally easier now
Bayonetta 3 came and conquered, but Platinum Games has been infrequently tweaking the game since its October 2022 release. Beyond the initial day one launch patch, this week is the only time it’s been adjusted in a major way: in this instance, via version 1.2.0, which was implemented late on January 10, 2023.
So there’s a few things this patch addresses:
- Combat adjustments that mainly apply to Viola
- Nerfs to many Niflheim challenge stages (which a lot of people asked for, even on higher-end difficulties)
- The Tricolored Keys/Old Picture Book secret is easier to access, as you just get the Tricolored Keys automatically now
- Other minor game balance issues, as well as bug fixes
So the first two points are actually entwined, as many folks were frustrated with some of the Viola-specific Niflheim challenges. To accommodate, it is now easier to enter Witch Time with Viola, and it’s been generally buffed. This has been a consistent point of contention and one of the biggest asks from the community.
Beyond that, the enhanced ease of accessing the teaser demo for the upcoming Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon is a smart move: especially since the initial hype of finding it the “secret way” has died down a bit. Plus, granular bug fixes in a frame-perfect action game are always appreciated!
Bayonetta 3 Ver. 1.2.0 Patch Notes (Released January 10, 2023)
- Adjusted Viola’s activation window for “Block” and activation conditions for Witch Time.
- Block activation window added after releasing Block (during the release animation).
- Added an additional animation when Witch Time takes effect, making its activation easier to realize.
- The allotted duration of Witch Time, and its activation window have been lengthened.
- Now, when block is activated when player is attacked, player will receive damage effect, but block will succeed and activate Witch Time.
- Now, combo can continue (with Dodge Offset) when player uses Block to activate Witch Time.
- If the Block input is used repeatedly, the granted Witch Time duration will decrease.
- Adjustments made to prevent Viola’s evasive input and Cheshire’s summoning input from activating Assault Slave while maintaining invincibility if they are used in rapid succession.
- Weapons “Simoon”, “Tartarus” and Viola’s Charge Attacks can now continue to hold charge, even if dodged or blocked.
- Wink Slave can now be activated from the combos “PKP*” and “PKK*” for the weapons “G-Pillar”, “Dead End Express” and “Cassiopeia”.*P is Punch, and K is Kick
- When equipping the accessories “Infernal Communicator” and “Pulley’s Butterfly” to summon Devils and Butterflies, it is now possible to cancel the summoning motion by dodging or blocking.
The following Niflheim stage conditions were changed to lower the difficulty:
|Niflheim Stage||Changed Conditions|
|Chapter 2 Verse 5（Casual to Expert）||120 second time limit changed to 150 second time limit|
|Chapter 3 Verse 4（Casual to Expert）||Two lives increased to three lives|
|Chapter 5 Verse 2 (Casual to Expert）||150 second time limit changed to 180 second time limit|
|Chapter 6 Verse 8 (Casual to Expert）||Two lives increased to three lives|
|Chapter 9 Verse 8 (Casual to Expert)||60 second time limit changed to 80 second time limit|
|Chapter 10 Verse 1 (Casual to Expert)||140 second time limit changed to 160 second time limit|
|Chapter 12 Verse 5 (Casual to Expert)||One life increased to two lives|
- Conditions for obtaining the “Tricolored Keys” needed to unseal the “Old Picture Book” have been made easier.
- “Tricolored Keys” will be automatically available on the chapter select screen once it becomes possible to access the “Gates of Hell”.
- Even if the player already has access to the Gates of Hell, or has already obtained one or two keys, they will automatically obtain the remaining keys when going to the chapter select screen after applying the update.
- Adjustments have been made to the Golem Treasure Chests found in stages.
- Time limits have been increased, and difficulty has been lowered.
- Golem Chest fragmenting animation can now be fast-forwarded with the B-button.
- Adjustments have been made to reduce situations with poor camera visibility.
- Adjusted game balance.
- Fixed a bug in Verse 5 of Chapter 7 that prevented progress when certain actions were performed while controlling Cheshire.
- Fixed a problem with the accessory “Hymn of Durga” in which its effect was not being applied to some attacks.
- Fixed an issue where using Alruna’s “Bondage Whip (P or K* long press)” skill in certain situations would cause the enemies to to die instantly.
- Fixed an issue where the weapons using “Crow Within” (J* long press)” with “Scarborough Fair” and “Love is Blue” would cause player to move forward significantly under certain conditions.
- Fixed an issue where Bayonetta’s animations would not play correctly when switching weapons immediately after using the “Crow Within (J* long press)” with the weapons “Scarborough Fair” and “Love is Blue”.
- Fixed a bug that caused “Black Pearl Rain (Rotate L stick + S*)” for Infernal Demon “Kraken” to trigger “Wink Slave” with abnormally high attack power.
- Fixed a bug that caused “Devil Rodin” to be stuck for a time when using “After Burner Kick (↑K* in midair)” continuously, immediately after rising up with a prior “After Burner Kick (J・K*)”.
- Fixed a bug in which Viola’s Assault Slave was able to summon Infernal Demons in “Infernal Demon-prohibited areas”.
- Fixed an error in the hand symbol seen in Cutie J’s transformation sequence viewable in Side Chapter.
- Fixed other issues to make the game more enjoyable to play.
*P is Punch, K is Kick, S is Shoot, and J is Jump.