Trading cards print money, and more
It’s a significant day in Pokemon history, as the powers that be celebrated the original launch of the series in Japan, decades later. But most of the news was decidedly forward-facing, as we were privy to the typical barrage of announcements for contemporary live service releases, as well as a breakdown of what’s to come for Pokemon Scarlet & Violet. The big news for today? A two-part DLC expansion for the aforementioned generational release, coming in fall and winter of this year.
Here’s a full recap of everything that happened.
Where to watch the full February 27, 2023 Pokemon Presents presentation
A full recap of The February 27, 2023 Pokemon Presents Presentation
- The Pokemon Company reminded us that The Pokemon World Championship will be held in Japan this year for the first time (date still TBA)
- A “classic” set of Pokemon cards is coming, with more info to be announced at The Pokemon World Championship
- A new Netflix and Pokemon venture was announced, called Pokemon Concierge
- Zacian is heading to Pokemon Unite, and has an event lined up to boot
- Pokemon Cafe Remix will have an event featuring the Pokemon Scarlet & Violet trio, as well as “Great Chef Greninja,” throughout several in-game events
- Pokemon Masters EX will bring back Leon & Charizard, with the latter’s max moves unlocked (you can also get a 3500 gem present for the 3.5 year anniversary of the game’s release if you log in)
- Pokemon Sleep lives! We have the full breakdown of what it entails here
- Pokemon Go Plus+ (yes, I know) was unveiled, and will work with both Pokemon Go and Pokemon Sleep
- Pokemon Go will connect with Scarlet & Violet today, and Home support is still coming in early 2023
- We’re getting two more Tera Raids for Pokemon Scarlet & Violet, and they’re version exclusive
- The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero (Parts 1 and 2) have been announced, and will serve as DLC for Pokemon Scarlet & Violet, launching in fall and winter of 2023 in two parts
The two big things missing from this presentation? Info on the next generation, and an announcement of a potential Legends follow-up in a new setting. I didn’t expect the former since we’re so fresh off of Scarlet & Violet, but I hope the latter does actually happen at some point: even given the stark sales contrast between the core generations and spinoffs.