Playable on the PTR today
Midway through Blizzard’s teases for the 27th hero in Overwatch, people got it in their heads that the new character had to be Torbjörn’s daughter. Despite some skepticism that it might all just be a ruse, those folks were right! Brigitte joins the game today on the PTR as a flail-wielding support.
Looking at her kit, I think Brigitte will win over Reinhardt fans who are at least somewhat open to change. She’s primarily a support character, sure, but she’s tank-y too. And, again, rocket flail.
- Rocket Flail – Brigitte’s melee weapon has an extended range, enabling her to strike multiple enemies with a single swing.
- Repair Pack – Brigitte throws a Repair Pack that can heal an ally. Any healing over that ally’s maximum health provides them with armor instead.
- Whip Shot – Brigitte throws her flail a long distance, dealing damage and knocking an enemy away from her.
- Barrier Shield – Brigitte deploys a frontal energy barrier to absorb a limited amount of damage.
- Shield Bash – Once her Barrier Shield is deployed, Brigitte can dash forward to stun an enemy.
- Inspire – When Brigitte hits enemies with her flail, she also heals nearby allies over time.
- Rally – Brigitte moves faster and provides all nearby allies with armor that lasts until it’s removed by damage.
Here’s game director Jeff Kaplan for all your pronunciation needs:
“She counters a lot of heroes that are very powerful right now,” he says. “We think she’ll really mix up the way that the game’s being played both casually and competitively at the highest levels.”