It also adds a new stadium
Originally confirmed in the recent September Nintendo Direct, this is actually a full-on update for Battle League, billed as version 1.2.0. It not only adds the aforementioned content (Diddy Kong, Pauline, the Planetoid stadium, and more gear), it also serves as an adjustment patch of sorts. CPU teammates are now snappier, charge times for perfect passes have been tweaked, and you now earn more coins in general. Clubs will also now be barred from participating in a season for 30 days of idle time as opposed to 90 days if no one appears online during that time period.
Note that this follows the prior July update (1.1.0), which added Daisy, Shy Guy, and the Desert Ruin stadium into the mix. While Mario Strikers: Battle League had a solid foundation at launch, it really needed more content to justify itself for a lot of folks. It’s already there, roster-wise.
You can peruse the full patch notes below.
Mario Strikers: Battle League Diddy Kong and Pauline patch – Ver. 1.2.0 (Released September 21, 2022)
- Added “Pauline” as a playable character.
- Added “Diddy Kong” as a playable character.
- Added the “Planetoid” stadium.
- Added the “Barrel” gear set.
- Added “Striker Rankings” to the Main Menu. Compete by comparing your individual ability over a fixed period of time with “Skill Score”, which varies with your performance in online matches (excluding Battle Friends).
- Added the following content to “Strikers Club”.
- You can now customize supporters in the stadium. Access this by going to “Club Management” → “Stadium” → “Supporters”.
- You can now use Coins to view fireworks and confetti when you score a goal or when you win a match. Access this by going to “Club Management” → “Match Celebration”.
- Adjusted the behavior so that CPU teammates mark opponents more quickly.
- Adjusted the order of characters when you switch characters.
- Adjusted the charge time of Perfect Free Passes and Perfect Free Lob Passes.
- Increased the amount of Coins and tokens you earn depending on the results of a match.
- Changed the period of time for a rule in Strikers Club, which states that a Club will not be allowed to join a season if no member of a Club has been online within a certain amount of time, from 90 days to 30 days.
- Changed the number of ? Blocks that are thrown to the losing team at kickoff from 2 to 1 when the difference in score is 2 points.
- Adjusted the match-making system in online matches.
- Made several other adjustments to game balance and fixed several other issues to improve the gameplay experience.