The first of two back-to-back beta weekends is now live
Activision’s next big push for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is happening this week: it’s beta time (for some players, anyway). There’s a whole schedule to keep track of dependent on your platform of choice.
Modern Warfare PS4 beta
- PlayStation 4 users are up first with a beta test from September 12–16 starting at 10:00am PT. September 12–13 are limited to “early access” players who pre-ordered Modern Warfare on PS4, while September 14–16 are open to all PS4 players, no pre-order necessary.
- PS4 players can jump in again from September 19–23.
- PlayStation Plus is needed in “some territories.”
- You can pre-load the Modern Warfare beta on PS4 prior to September 12.
Modern Warfare Xbox One and PC beta
- Xbox One and PC users will get their first glimpse of the Modern Warfare beta from September 19–23 at 10:00am PT. September 19–20 are restricted to “early access” players who placed a pre-order on Xbox One or PC via Battle.net, while September 21–23 are open to all players.
- Xbox Live Gold and Battle.net are needed for their respective platforms.
- You can pre-load the Modern Warfare beta on Xbox One and PC before September 19.
What’s actually playable in the beta? 2v2, 6v6, and “larger player count firefights,” at least to start. Modern Warfare will change maps, playlists, and “other content drops” as the beta progresses. The beta’s second weekend (September 19–23) includes cross-play, which should prove interesting.
“Starting this weekend we’re planning to give players access to new features and maps each day,” according to Infinity Ward creative director Patrick Kelly. “We are also planning to expose more new content and ways to play in the second weekend.”
As much as Modern Warfare‘s night-vision aesthetic stands out to me, I’m not exactly dying to dip back into Call of Duty multiplayer at this juncture. I’ve traditionally made time for the series’ beta tests as a way to “get my fill,” so to speak, and I am feeling curious. I’ll see if the trend continues this weekend.
With the beta now live, we’re in the home stretch for launch. The game is out October 25, 2019.