Release windows, new characters, and more
[Update: It’s over! You can watch the presentation again in the embedded video above.]
We heard your guesses for what’ll be announced at this afternoon’s Super Smash Bros.-themed Nintendo Direct presentation and I liked what you all had to say. Tingle? That’d be a treat. Shulk? Total crowd-pleaser. There’s also hope we’ll get a release date and, according to Nintendo, that’s officially happening: the game’s “launch window” will be announced today.
It won’t be long now until we find out that and more, so if you’re able, come watch the Nintendo Direct with us as it happens live today at 3:00pm Pacific. We’ll post any breakout information here on Destructoid, but consider this your comment thread to go wild in for the time being.
Recap of today’s news:
- Smash Bros. will hit 3DS first this summer, followed by the Wii U release in winter.
- Confirmed characters: Charizard, Greninja, Yoshi, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus.
- Online modes include For Fun (do whatever) and For Glory (Final Destination, no items).
- The 3DS version has a cool mode called Smash Run in which you fight enemies in a dungeon for five minutes to boost your abilities and then brawl with other players.
- A bunch of Pokemon are featured once again and now there are Master Balls.
- “There will be elements in Super Smash Bros. that link both versions of the games.”
- You can customize your move sets when playing with friends locally or online.
- Wireframe Mac is the best, confirmed.
Also, this happened: