The update is called “King Deshret and the Three Magi”
Several weeks ago, Genshin Impact was ushered into the 3.0 update, and added the Sumeru region to the game. Now, Genshin Impact update 3.1 will follow suit with former expansion patches, and build upon that foundation: this time, with a desert area to balance out Sumeru’s extensive forests and jungles.
For all the lore nuts, miHoYo has provided us with an overview of the new area: “In contrast to the tropical rainforest, the harsh desert of Sumeruhas a stark, dangerous beauty. In the heart of the desert stands the majestic Mausoleum of King Deshret and dungeons full of puzzles, mechanisms, and robotic guardians powered by ancient technologies of the perished god and his ancient civilization. The desert is also home to Aaru Village, the largest settlement of the desert people and a safe harbor for exiled scholars and a wealth of information. As players delve into the desert area, Sumeru’s Archon Quest continues to unfold as more factions make their appearances, including two Fatui Harbingers, Il Dottore and Scaramouche.”
Here are the big talking points for Genshin Impact update 3.1
- The desert area is the main event, and will add new daily activities to do beyond the extension of the story, via the King Deshret and the Three Magi Archon Quests (a run-in with two Fatui Harbingers is teased).
- New dungeons are teased, as well as King Deshret’s Mausoleum.
- Two bosses will be part of 3.1: the Semi-Perpetual Control Matrix and Blightdrake.
- Nilou, Cyno, and Candace will be added to the game as playable characters, ending a months-long wait to pick up Cyno following leaks.
- More events are taking place in Sumeru, including the “Of Ballads and Brews” activity, which involves harvesting items in Mondstadt for Weinlesefest.
- Version 3.1 will include a few new features, including “dynamic terrain deformation, a solution to better simulate the realistic trails on the sand,” as well as “more DualSenseController support will be added to enable vibration feedback when characters cast their Elemental Burst.”
Genshin Impact is in a really good place right now. While the monetization model is still a point of contention, at this point there’s a ton of content to play for free, and future updates generally keep upping the ante in terms of quality. I’m fully invested in the story, and look forward to diving in on each numbered update.