Surprise sales burst for 3DS titles
Bandai Namco’s brand new Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot has had a very positive launch week, which sees the anime RPG rocket straight into the number-one spot of the UK charts, pushing Electronic Arts’ FIFA 20 into third place, right behind Activision’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
It was also a curiously successful week for Nintendo 3DS titles, as WarioWare Gold re-entered the charts at number six, as did Metroid Prime: Federation Force. No less than three Yo-Kai Watch titles made a play for the premier leagues, with the original Yo-Kai Watch landing at number nine and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls appearing at numbers 12 and 13 respectively. The re-released Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore fell just outside the Top Ten at number 11.
Elsewhere in the charts Nintendo still dominates physical game sales, with all major Switch releases holding a place in the Top 40. Mainstays Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate were joined by re-entries Astral Chain and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
U.K. video game sales chart w/e: January 18, 2020
(Chart reflects in-store physical sales only)
1. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot – Bandai Namco Entertainment
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – Activision
3. FIFA 20 – Electronic Arts
4. Grand Theft Auto V – Take 2
5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order – Electronic Arts
6. Wario Ware Gold – Nintendo
7. Luigi’s Mansion 3 – Nintendo
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Nintendo
9. Yo-Kai Watch – Nintendo
10. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Nintendo
U.K. video game charts [UKie]