Sekiro took the top honors
And that’s a wrap for the Steam Awards 2019.
Over the past month, Steam users have nominated their favorite games of 2019 across eight different categories, from the classic Game of the Year award to more (potentially) surprising awards meant to highlight story-rich games and the best games we suck at, among others. Here are the results:
- Game of the Year: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- VR Game of the Year: Beat Saber
- Labor of Love: Grand Theft Auto V (again!)
- Better With Friends: DayZ
- Most Innovative Gameplay: My Friend Pedro
- Outstanding Story-Rich Game: A Plague Tale: Innocence
- Best Game You Suck At: Mortal Kombat 11
- Outstanding Visual Style: Gris
If some of these winners are catching you off guard – I really wasn’t expecting DayZ to show up anywhere on this list, but I should’ve! – you might find more common ground with the runners-up.
You can see the other top nominees over on the results page. As one example, for Game of the Year, the other finalists were Resident Evil 2, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Devil May Cry 5, and Destiny 2.
Funnily enough, the game I threw out as a possible nominee for the Best Game You Suck At, Hunt: Showdown, was a runner-up alongside Code Vein and Mordhau. It’s reassuring to know I’m not alone.
I wonder if people will still be playing Grand Theft Auto V by the time GTA VI rolls around.