Also they “improved the performance of some characters and vehicle customizations”
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe just got its fourth wave of DLC this week, and with it, patch notes! Don’t worry, they’re mostly good news.
In addition to adding support for the DLC, there’s also a series of general improvements, as well as myriad issues that have been fixed. Thankfully, unlike many other first part Nintendo patch notes, those fixes are descriptive! If you’ve been having problems with items (like the Boo and lightning glitches), you’re in luck. As for the general patch smoothing, there’s “improved performance” of select characters and vehicle parts, and you can now utilize the rear view mirror in more cases (including spinning, crashing, and when you’re morphing into a Bullet Bill).
I also really want to try this now:
“Made it so, when jumping from a Whomp in Tour Berlin Byways, karts can leap over the fence.”
You could say I’m into this patch.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe continues to get better
As we saw in a semi-recent update, players now have the ability to individually toggle items on and off. It’s something that would have saved a lot of living room and dorm fights, that’s for sure!
That, combined with all of the aforementioned bug fixes and smoothing, is great news for folks who are still playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and plan to play it for years to come. This lengthy support period (on top of a prior release foundation) has basically become the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate of kart racers.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Version 2.3.0 patch notes – Released March 8, 2023 (Full patch notes)
Support for DLC
- Now supports paid DLC: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass, Wave 4 (two cups, eight courses, and one character, Birdo).
- Improved the performance of some characters and vehicle customizations.
- Made it so that the player can see the rear view mirror when spinning, crashing, or changed into Bullet Bill.
- Made it so, if the player uses a Super Star or Boo at the same time that they are hit by Lightning, their kart will not crash or become small.
- Made it so, when jumping from a Whomp in Tour Berlin Byways, karts can leap over the fence.
- Added Golden Mushroom to Custom Items in Renegade Roundup.
- Added “Booster Course Pass” button to main menu. If a player does not have the Booster Course Pass, a link to the Nintendo eShop will be displayed.
- Fixed an issue where, when the player’s kart became small after being hit by lightning, it would slip into the ground.
- Fixed an issue where, when the player’s kart ran into a wall, they would be carried over by Lakitu even though they had not left the course.
- Fixed an issue where the player character would not be able to hit an opponent with a red shell when that opponent was jumping on a half-pipe.
- Fixed an issue where the player character could not drift after jumping and landing in a half pipe.
- Fixed an issue so that the player can use another item other than Boo right after using Boo.
- Fixed an issue where the player could not throw a Boomerang after catching it and it entered the second item slot.
- Fixed an issue where, when a player character hit the Blooper in an opponent’s Crazy 8, they would have ink squirted on them even though they are using the Super Star.
- Fixed an issue where, when the player stops looking at the rear view mirror, the ink would disappear momentarily even though they had Blooper ink on them.
- Fixed an issue where, when player is hit with a red shell at the same time as changing into Bullet Bill, they would go off the course.
- Fixed an issue where, at the escalator in Wii Coconut Mall, there would be a communication error when a character could not move forward.
- Fixed an issue when changed into Bullet Bill in N64 Dry Dry Desert, where the character would slip into the ground.
- Fixed an issue where the character would get stuck on the bridge posts right before and after the starting line in Tour London Loop.
- Fixed an issue where, on wavy floors in 3DS Rainbow Road, the character could be pushed way off the course.
Undocumented changes in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Wave 4
[Update: Reddit user Meester_Tweester uncovered all of the undocumented changes to racers and karts, which is quite the extensive list. You can find a full link to the alterations below! And with that, the patch notes are fully complete.]