Act like a cat (for the most part)
As we inch closer to launch day on July 19, one of the most fun games to think about right now is Stray, an adventure game about being a cat in a futuristic world run by robots. The trophy list is now out in the wild (courtesy of sites like Exophase and Powerpyx), and some of the descriptions give us a better idea of what to expect from Stray‘s scope.
Most notably, there’s a pacifist challenge, one for meowing 100 times, another for being sneaky enough to go undetected, and a speedrun trophy for finishing the game in under two hours. From everything we’ve seen of Stray so far, I’m not surprised that it can be completed so quickly — and to be honest, that actually sounds wonderful. Two hours seems like a nice runtime for a better-informed, more efficient second playthrough.
If you rush too much, you’ll miss the collectibles: badges, memories, and sheet music. It’s reassuring to know there’s a reason to comb the city beyond just the story.
Note: there are some location spoilers in a few of the trophies.
Stray PS4/PS5 trophy list
- All Done – Unlock all trophies.
- A Little Chatty – Meow 100 times.
- Cat-a-Pult – Jump 500 times.
- Productive Day – Sleep for more than one hour.
- Boom Chat Kalaka – Dunk the basketball.
- Can’t Cat-ch Me – Complete the first Zurk pursuit without being caught.
- Sneakitty – Go through Midtown without being detected by the Sentinels.
- No More Lives – Die 9 times.
- Scratch – Scratch the vinyl in the club.
- Pacifist – Complete the Sewers without killing any Zurks.
- I am Speed – Complete the game in less than 2 hours.
- Missed Jump – Fall inside the city.
- Not Alone – Meet B-12.
- Cat Got Your Tongue? – Have B-12 translate a robot.
- Catwalk – Reach Midtown.
- Al-Cat-Raz – Go to jail.
- Eye Opener – Complete the game and open the city.
- Meowlody – Bring all the music sheets to Morusque.
- Curiosity Killed the Cat – Wear the paper bag.
- Cat-a-strophe – Try to play mahjong with the robots.
- Cat’s best friend – Nuzzle up against 5 robots.
- I Remember! – Gather all B-12 memories.
- Télé à chat – Browse through all of the TV channels.
- Badges – Collect all badges.
- Territory – Scratch in every chapter.
When they say “scratch,” they mean it.
scratch walls as a cat pic.twitter.com/qDX6Oqb83b
— Annapurna Interactive (@A_i) July 8, 2022
I’m planning to play Stray with my PlayStation Plus Premium subscription (heads-up: the PS Plus Extra tier also includes access to the game), and as good as it looks, this isn’t the sort of experience I’d want to drag on and on. When it comes to game length, I always think back to Inside — a fantastic, gripping, potent-the-whole-way-through adventure.
Apart from PS4 and PS5, Stray will also be on PC — in fact, it recently topped Steam’s “Top Wishlists” list. Clearly, a bunch of us would rather just be a cat right now.