No evolution stones necessary
Pokémon Go features hundreds of different Pokémon from across nine generations. There are few of these Pokémon that are as prevalent throughout the generations as Eevee. With eight different possible evolutions, here’s how to evolve Eevee and guarantee its evolution using the name trick.
Pokémon Go Eevee name trick, explained
Pokémon Go doesn’t always use the general evolutionary methods found in the core games. Usually, Eevee requires players to find certain evolutionary stones to evolve it in its eight forms, such as the Fire Stone to turn Eevee into Flareon. And then there are those who don’t use stones like Sylveon.
However, Pokémon Go focuses mainly on themed Pokémon candies for its evolution methods. In the case of Eevee, you simply need 25 Eevee candies (from catching multiple Eevee’s and so on) to evolve it. The problem with this is that there’s no telling what Pokémon you’ll get this way.
Thankfully, there is a Pokémon Go Eevee name trick that lets you determine what Eevee evolves into. How it works is that players simply need to go into the game and change the nickname of the Eevee in question.
If they pick certain nicknames, it will decide if Eevee turns into a Glaceon, Jolteon, Sylveon, etc. This simplifies the process and guarantees what Pokémon you get.
All Eevee evolution names
When you’re ready to evolve Eevee, I have a cheat sheet for you below, courtesy of Reddit. These are the various nicknames you can use for the Pokémon Go Eevee name trick to unlock each of the eight evolutions:
- Flareon: All you need to do is change the nickname of Eevee to Pyro.
- Jolteon: Pick the name Sparky for Eevee to turn it into its Electric-type form.
- Vaporeon: Change the nickname of Eevee to Rainer.
- Espeon: You’ll want to pick the nickname of Eevee to be Sakura.
- Umbreon: Tamao is the nickname you’ll want to pick for Eevee to evolve it into this form.
- Glaceon: Rea is the name that will work for this trick version.
- Leafeon: Linnea is the nickname you’ll want to pick for Eevee.
- Sylveon: Kira is the nickname to get the Fairy-type evolution of Eevee.
To change nicknames, select the Eevee in question you want to evolve. You’ll see a small pen symbol next to its name. Click on this symbol to edit and change the name instantly. You can even change the name again after its evolution if you aren’t sold on a nickname like Rainer.
To confirm that you did this right, select Eevee again and look at the evolution section near the candies. It will show the silhouette of its evolution, which should appear like the one that you desire it to. Note that you can only use this method once per Eevee evolution.