I love beating these types of games in a vacuum
There’s something about blazing through a 1.0 edition of a game like Dark Souls or Nioh, pre-release, that’s immensely satisfying.
There’s no meta. There’s no guides to consult. And the developers made their decisions already with no live feedback for the full game: it’s a wild experience that might not always translate to a good time for a lot of people. But now that hindsight is part of the equation, Team Ninja is walking back some of their choices for Nioh 2.
The latest update is 1.07, following 1.05’s heavy changes, and the biggest alteration has to be the following: “Weakened the attacks of some non-boss enemies. Previously, though the player could be above the recommended level, some enemies would kill the player in one hit.” I thought that was a feature, not a bug?!
Surprisingly, Nioh 2 has a lot of those enemies strolling around, even on regular difficulty. I’d frequently come across someone who looked like a regular dude and then smack, I’d be dead in a hit, despite being a few levels over the recommended parameters. It was occasionally frustrating yet par for the course: but I totally get that not everyone wants to dance around “no-hit runs” in the middle of an otherwise balanced experience.
Team Ninja also adjusted the difficulty of several sub-missions and buffed the drop rate of Smithing Text and The Art of Combat (nice, alleviating grinding I can get behind). You can find the meat of the patch notes below, and miscellaneous bug fixes here.
Team Ninja [Twitter]
Adjusted the mission difficulty of the sub-missions:
- A Favor for the Blacksmith
- The Greedy Hunter
- The Sunomata Yokai Hunt
- The Viper and the Butterfly
- The Brothers Blades
- The Burning Sky
- Scattered Fragments
- Calling on the Fire God
- The Dream’s End
- Weakened the attacks of some non-boss enemies. Previously, though the player could be above the recommended level, some enemies would kill the player in one hit.
- Weakened some attacks of Shibata Katsuie that are especially difficult to dodge.
- Buffed the drop rate of Smithing Text and The Art of Combat.
- Added “Difficulty” to the search condition of Random Encounters.
- Added “Accessories” tab to the “Tempering.”
- Added a feature to initialize settings in the HDR settings.