Solomon! I have returned!
After a month of radio silence, the release date of Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation 2 has been announced. The free-to-play game will be arriving on October 1, which is less than a week away. This announcement did not come from Bandai Namco itself, but via The Drop, a blog run by Sony containing upcoming releases.
For those that need a refresher on the game, let me give you a quick run down. Battle Operation 2 is a free-to-play game that focuses on six-versus-six team battles. War is waged via mobile suits, with players also able to exit their mech for on-foot action as well. The games constantly growing roster of machines – which recently gained Zeong and MLRS variant of Gundam GP02 – is primarily focused on the original show and its spinoff materials. Said roster is pulled from everyone’s favorite gacha system, although there is a regular store that features many mechs that can be purchased with in-game currency.
It’s not all doom and gloom when it comes to expanding your selection however. Bandai Namco held a poll back in August to see what ten mobile suits players wanted for free on launch day. The results were the following:
- Zaku 1 (GS) from Zeonic Front
- Blue Destiny Unit-1 from Side Story: The Blue Destiny
- Gundam Pixie from Cross Dimension 0079
- Guncannon Mass Production Type from War in the Pocket
- Gundam RX-78-2 from Mobile Suit Gundam
- Gundam Ground Type from 08th MS Team
- Full Armor Gundam from Mobile Suit Variation
- Dwadge from Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
- Gouf Custom from 08th MS Team
- Xamel from Stardust Memory
It’s definitely a good selection of suits from both a faction perspective and a gameplay variety perspective. While I would have liked more suits available from the start, having ten of the 130 machines secured on launch day is something at least.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation 2 is set to launch October 1 in North America and Europe. It is currently available in Japan and Asia.