Box office round up
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle sure opened at the right time, huh? Its positive word of mouth and the complete lack of competition anywhere else has propelled it into a stellar box office. It pulled way ahead again this weekend, and doesn’t really look like it’s going to slow down any time soon. All the new releases this week didn’t do so well, though people did head out as award contenders opened wider.
Is there really anything anyone is looking forward to before Black Panther in February? There’s still a few Oscar contenders that need to go wide, but aside from that it’s a ghost town of epic proportions. I mean this might be one of the worst Januaries we’ve seen in years. There’s usually some bad franchise or something that at least gives you a little kick of fun, but nothing this year.
If I may make a recommendation. Watch the first Paddington on Netflix and then go see Paddington 2. The films are beyond charming, fun, and just the right level of blissful escape that kids movies should be. You won’t be sorry.
1. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle – $27,035,000
2. The Post – $18,600,000
3. The Commuter – $13,450,000
4. Insidious: The Last Key – $12,135,000
5. The Greatest Showman – $11,800,000
6. Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $11,275,000
7. Paddington 2 – $10,620,000
8. Proud Mary – $10,000,000
9. Pitch Perfect 3 – $5,655,000
10. Darkest Hour – $4,525,000