In a shocking announcement not unsimilar to hearing your best friend has just become pregnant with the child of that really cute eighth grade boy you’ve had a crush on all summer break, Valve software has announced via press release that a few of id’s finest titles will be available on Valve’s Steam service starting today.
Titles available include DOOM, HeXen, QUAKE and a large number of id’s other improperly capitalized IPs.
With id, Valve’s primary — if merely spiritual — rival jumping on board the Steam train (that would have been a joke 150 years ago), does this signify the true success of Steam as a platform? Sure, it’s made money in the past, but this is tantamount to Sonic and Mario appearing together in a game; unthinkable ten years ago, almost unsurprising now.
Hit the jump for the full release.
ID SOFTWARE GAMES AVAILABLE VIA STEAM
DOOM, HeXen, QUAKE, and More Legendary Titles Launch Today
QUAKECON 2007-MESQUITE, TX-AUGUST 3, 2007-id Software has teamed with Valve to bring some of the most successful game franchises in history to Steam, a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC games and digital content with over 13 million accounts around the world.
Starting today, Steam users may download full versions of these best-selling and critically-acclaimed games, including the complete DOOM series and QUAKE I – III, including mission packs, as well as id’s pioneering PC side-scroller, Commander Keen and vintage favorites Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, Heretic, and HeXen. As part of the id Welcome Celebration on Steam, select id packages are being offered with a 10%, limited-time discount.
“Valve pioneered digital delivery of video games with Steam,” said Todd Hollenshead, CEO of id Software. “As a game developer themselves, Valve understands what developers and game players want and need in an online distribution system, and Steam delivers.”
“We can’t overstate our admiration for id, its games, and the technical advancements the company has delivered to help move the industry forward during the past 15 years,” said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. “Like many other studios, Valve was born when we licensed the QUAKE engine to build our first game. We’re proud to welcome id to Steam and give people around the world an easy way to play the games that have inspired everyone here at Valve.”
The line-up of legendary id games and packages launching on Steam today includes:
· Commander Keen, Episodes 1 through 5
· Wolfenstein 3D
· Spear of Destiny
· Return to Castle Wolfenstein
· Ultimate DOOM
· DOOM II
· Master Levels for DOOM II
· Final DOOM
· DOOM3: Resurrection of Evil
· QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
· QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
· QUAKE II
· QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning
· QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero
· QUAKE III Arena
· QUAKE III: Team Arena
· Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
· HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
· HeXen II
· DOOM 3 Pack: Includes DOOM 3 and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil
· QUAKE III Pack: Includes QUAKE III Arena and QUAKE III: Team Arena
· Wolf Pack: Includes Wolf 3D, Spear of Destiny and Return to Castle Wolfenstein
· DOOM Pack Complete: Includes all DOOM games released by id
· QUAKE Pack: Includes all 8 QUAKE Titles available on Steam
· Heretic\HeXen Pack: Includes Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, HeXen, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, HeXen II
· id Super Pack: Every id game on Steam
For more information and pricing, please visit www.steamgames.com.
About id Software
id – defined by Freud as the primal section of the human psyche; id Software, located in Mesquite, Texas, was founded in 1991. From inception to present day, id Software has relentlessly provided technical, design and artistic leadership as an independent game developer and technology provider. Transcending the games industry, id’s iconic brands such as Wolfenstein, DOOM, QUAKE and Enemy Territory have become staples of popular culture for generations of gamers. More information on id Software can be found at www.idsoftware.com.
A leading online platform for PC games and digital entertainment, Steam delivers new releases and online services to over 13 million PC users around the world. For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com