The wintery celebration returns to Overwatch 2
As Overwatch 2‘s second season rolls around, the game’s holiday event, known as Winter Wonderland, has finally returned, and some new seasonally-themed cosmetic items along with it. The event officially runs from December 13 to January 4, 2023, you’ll have plenty of time to try for the new skins, victory poses, and emotes. Along with the cosmetics, players will also be able to play the classic Winter Wonderland game modes that Overwatch has introduced in the past, so veteran players will likely be excited to jump back into those again.
The four returning game modes include:
- Mei’s Snowball Offensive: A 6v6 elimination mode where everyone plays as Mei, and must gather snow placed around the map in order to lob snowballs at the enemy.
- Snowball Deathmatch: An 8-player free-for-all mode where everyone plays as Mei yet again; this mode also utilizes the snowball mechanic.
- Yeti Hunter: A 5v1 mode where five players take on the role of Mei, and the final player is a Yeti version of Winston.
- Freezethaw Elimination: A 4v4 freeze tag mode where players eliminate their opponents by freezing them, but they can also revive teammates by thawing them.
How to earn the new Brigitte Ice Queen skin
By playing the winter themed game modes, players can unlock a bunch of new Christmas ornament sprays and a snowman head weapon charm (there’s also a new Festive Wreath weapon charm that’s not tied to this challenge), as well as an Epic-tier Ice Queen Brigitte skin. All they need to do is complete a series of challenges in these modes:
- Warmhearted: Thaw 15 allies in Freezethaw Elimination
- Caught A Cold: Catch 6 snowballs in Snowball Deathmatch
- Abominable: Win a game in Yeti Hunter as a Yeti
- Block of Ice: Block a snowball with Mei’s ice wall
- Unthawed: Win a game in Freezethaw Elimination
- Snowstorm: Win a game in Snowball Deathmatch
- Monster Hunter: Win a game in Yeti Hunter as Mei
- Time for Cocoa: Win a game in Mei’s Snowball Offensive
Other new skins include a Gingerbread outfit for Bastion, an Ice Angel skin for Echo, and Mei’s Hu Tou Mao skin, which are available in the store and will require a purchase with Overwatch Coins. Don’t worry if you’ve missed out in the past, either, because Winter Wonderlands cosmetics from previous years will also be available for purchase in the shop, like Zenyatta’s Toybot skin for example.
Don’t forget about Twitch Drops!
In addition to in-game purchases, players will also have the option of getting some cosmetics for D.Va via some Twitch drops. Between December 25 and January 4, fans can tune into drop-enabled channels under the Overwatch 2 category to earn some extra flair. If players watch 2 hours, they’ll earn the Festive D.Va Victory Pose, and 4 hours will earn them the Sleighing D.Va Legendary Skin. Players will just need to make sure that their Battle.net account is set up to earn Twitch Drops.