I’ve got some great news for the three of you who have been closely following Destructoid’s coverage of 2K Sports’ Major League Baseball 2K8 Fantasy All-Stars, a DS-exclusive arcade baseball game. You’ve seen the announcement, and you’ve read the entire interview (including screens) with the game’s developer, Deep Fried Entertainment. You’ve been waiting with bated breath, and now the time is nigh for you to get your swing on.
Today is what industry insiders like to refer to as “new release Tuesday”, and MLB 2K8 FAS is one of the DS games coming out this week. The press release (after the jump) says it’s now on store shelves, so what are you waiting for, people? Go, go, go! The game retails for $29.99, and it’s rated E for Everyone.
2K Sports Touches Them All With Major League Baseball® 2K8 Fantasy All-Stars Now Available on Retail Store Shelves
Enjoy baseball like never before with fun and addictively interactive touch screen controls
April 15, 2008 – 2K Sports, in partnership with Deep Fried Entertainment, today announced that Major League Baseball® 2K8 Fantasy All-Stars is now available on retail store shelves. Available exclusively for Nintendo DS, Major League Baseball 2K8 Fantasy All-Stars will put fans in touch with the action like never before while offering a wildly fun and interactive gameplay experience featuring starting lineups from all 30 Major League Baseball clubs, a variety of exhibition and tournament modes, All-Star training mini-games, along with fantasy-themed baseball stadiums.
Utilizing the functionality of the Nintendo DS touch screen, Major League Baseball 2K8 Fantasy All-Stars provides fans the unique opportunity to control the power and technique of their swings and the speed and accuracy of their pitch by performing specific gestures and intuitive usage of the stylus. Fielding, baserunning and other controls will also utilize the DS touch screen, as players drag and trace lines to execute these specific baseball actions.
Adding to the addictive gameplay experience, players will also have the ability to obtain special “power ups” to complete incredible batting, pitching, and fielding performances. Players can force their opponents to chase after the “chicken ball” that runs away from fielders once it’s on the ground, or confuse them with a “crazy ball” that takes an unpredictable flight path. Pitchers can throw amazing new pitches such as a “super splitter” that splits the ball into two pieces to confuse the batter or a “fireball” that screams over the plate at rocket speeds while engulfed in flames. Fielders can join in the power up fun with the “brick wall” that causes a wall to instantly rise out of the ground to stop the ball in its tracks or the “super jump” that allows them to jump incredibly high toward the ball in flight.
Other fun and exciting features in Major League Baseball 2K8 Fantasy All-Stars include:
- Unique Interactive Experience — All aspects of the game will be controlled on the Nintendo DS touch screen, including batting, pitching, fielding and baserunning.
- Exciting Gameplay Modes — Exhibition mode will allow players to quickly choose their favorite teams so they can immediately jump into the intense baseball action, while Fantasy Pennant mode will offer various tournaments to compete in. All-Star Training will assist players in learning the fundamental DS control functions wrapped up in a variety of fun and challenging mini-games.
- All-Star Lineups — Players can create their own unique baseball teams by choosing from the different starting lineups and putting together their favorite All-Stars.
- Uniquely Themed Stadiums — Set in extreme environments that portray the diverse North American environment, uniquely themed stadiums are in locations ranging from the Everglades in Florida to the Frozen North, locations that can only be mastered by the best.
- Multi-player — Supports two-player DS Wireless and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. For added competitiveness, Major League Baseball 2K8 Fantasy All-Stars will utilize DS Wireless and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connections so players can go head-to-head in intense worldwide multi-player gaming.
Major League Baseball 2K8 Fantasy All-Stars, developed by Deep Fried Entertainment and published by 2K Sports, is now available exclusively on Nintendo DS for $29.99 and is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB. For more information about this title, please visit: www.2Ksports.com.