Come write for us, as we expand
[Update: Due to overwhelming demand, we are not taking further calls for freelancers at this time. If you already applied and we haven’t contacted you, we will keep your application on file. Thanks to everyone who reached out!]
Things have been pretty crazy in the gaming sphere as of late (take your pick!): but there’s great news to report on the Destructoid front. Our new owners — the GAMURS Group — are looking to expand the site and provide us with the tools we need to grow. As a result, we have a bigger freelance budget!
If you’re not familiar with Destructoid, we cover a lot of the irreverent and offbeat video game news that a lot of other sites pass over: but we also hit the big stuff with that same irreverence and offbeat tone. We’re also one of the biggest review outlets out there and allow for a large degree of creative freedom, so there’s a lot of room to let your personality shine. Some of the most famous members of the gaming industry have written for Destructoid in its lengthy 16-year history, including Ashly Burch and James Stephanie Sterling.
We’re also looking at building out a guides program, with plenty of work for folks who play newer releases. Our rates vary along with the content, ranging from $15 to $80 depending on the length and type of story, with many posts fitting around the $25 range.
What are we looking for in a prospective freelance writer?
- Someone who has experience with games off the beaten path, retro games, or what’s popular (we are particularly looking for writers familiar with Apex Legends, Pokemon, Overwatch 2, and Call of Duty, as well as future new releases)
- Familiarity with WordPress/blogging platforms
- The ability to write quickly and accurately
- Someone eager to learn and incorporate feedback to build their writing skills
- Willingness to write at least 25 posts per month, ranging from quick news stories to beats on specific games (at first, content will be assigned, but you’re free to pitch opinion/feature content)
- Previous freelance/writing experience
What do we want in your application sent to [email protected]?
- The subject line of your email must read: “Destructoid freelance writer 2022”
- A brief cover letter in the body of your email
- Your resume/CV (as an attachment) or LinkedIn profile (choose one)
- At least two links to samples of your writing
- Links to your personal website/portfolio/blog, podcasts/videos, and/or any public social media accounts you would like to share
Please allow us ample time to respond, as we expect quite a lot of entries! Even if we don’t get back to you quickly, we will file all resumes provided to us, and we may be in contact at a later date.