Head of Xbox Phil Spencer has said that Microsoft is looking to bring the Call of Duty franchise back to Nintendo platforms, should the industry giant’s pending purchase of publisher Activision Blizzard find approval.
Speaking in a very brief statement on Twitter, Spencer said that Microsoft had already provisionally entered into a “10-year commitment” to see that the billion-dollar military franchise makes its grand return on Switch and future platforms. The last Call of Duty to see release on a Nintendo platform was Call of Duty: Ghost, which launched on Nintendo WiiU way back in 2013.
Microsoft has entered into a 10-year commitment to bring Call of Duty to @Nintendo following the merger of Microsoft and Activision Blizzard King. Microsoft is committed to helping bring more games to more people – however they choose to play. @ATVI_AB
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) December 7, 2022
As we have previously reported, Call of Duty remains both the Golden Goose and the ultimate lynchpin in Microsoft’s efforts to close out its $68.7 billion purchase of Activision Blizzard — an industry-shaking maneuver that was announced one year ago, but is yet to find global approval from a variety of trading standards bodies. Both The European Trade Commission and U.S. FTC regulators are still to confirm the findings of their respective antitrust regulations, though some territories — such as Brazil and Saudi Arabia — have already offered their unconditional approval.
Meanwhile, Sony continues in its efforts to put a halt to the deal, which appears almost entirely based on the concern of losing the Call of Duty franchise on PlayStation platforms. Global news outlet Reuters has suggested that Microsoft might be forced to make a commitment concession to Sony in order to secure global approval and move forward with the purchase.
The regulatory bodies must come to a final decision on the sale in the first quarter of 2023.