And Night in the Woods won big at the IGF Awards
Early this year as game-of-the-year lists were still coming out, CJ spoke about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild‘s potential victory lap come March 2018. The open-world adventure game was showing up all over the place, and it had just been nominated for the Game Developers Choice Awards.
Well, the awards ceremony took place last night, and wouldn’t you know it, Zelda is still pulling in wins. Nintendo took home Best Audio, Best Design, and Game of the Year for Breath of the Wild.
The Independent Games Festival Awards followed the show, highlighting games like Baba Is You, Celeste, and the grand-prize-winning Night in the Woods. I wonder what Mae would say about that.
You can find the full list of winners below.
The 18th Annual GDC Awards:
- Best Audio: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
- Best Debut: Studio MDHR (Cuphead)
- Best Design: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
- Best Mobile Game: Gorogoa (Jason Roberts/Buried Signal)
- Innovation Award: Gorogoa (Jason Roberts/Buried Signal)
- Best Narrative: What Remains of Edith Finch (Giant Sparrow)
- Best Technology: Horizon Zero Dawn (Guerrilla Games)
- Best Visual Art: Cuphead (Studio MDHR)
- Best VR/AR Game: Superhot VR (The Superhot Team)
- Audience Award: NieR: Automata (Platinum Games)
- Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
- Ambassador Award: Rami Ismail
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Tim Schafer
The 20th Annual Independent Games Festival Awards:
- Excellence in Visual Art: Chuchel (Amanita Design)
- Excellence in Audio: Uurnog Uurnlimited (Nifflas Games)
- Excellence in Design: Baba Is You (Hempuli)
- Excellence in Narrative: Night in the Woods (Infinite Fall)
- Nuovo Award: Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy (Bennett Foddy)
- Best Student Game: Baba Is You (Hempuli)
- Audience Award: Celeste (Celeste Team)
- ID@Xbox Gaming for Everyone Award: SpecialEffect
- alt.ctrl.GDC Award: Puppet Pandemonium
- Seumas McNally Grand Prize: Night in the Woods (Infinite Fall)
I really need to get on Gorogoa sooner than later.