This moment has been a long time coming for Destructoid readers.
For years we’ve mused on our favorite expansions and moments in World of Warcraft history. While Wrath of the Lich King took the top spot as the most-favored expansion, Burning Crusade was right on its heels in second place: and my personal favorite era to boot.
Even just a few months ago we discussed and voted on where we’d like to see World of Warcraft Classic go next. To Outland it is!
Today at BlizzCon 2021, Blizzard has announced that Burning Crusade will indeed be incorporated into the mix of “Classic.” It was kind of inevitable, given that Classic hit its end point, but we didn’t really know when Blizzard would decide to reveal all that. This week, it seems! Or more accurately, a few months ago when BlizzCon would have happened in person in Anaheim, California.
Since this is a lot to parse, here’s all the full info from Blizzard below. In short, content will “roll out in phases,” and “players can decide whether to advance each of their characters to the new era” or “continue playing the original Classic content on new “Classic Era” servers.
Burning Crusade, like Classic, will be included in your subscription. It’s allegedly out in 2021.
- Rediscover the Broken World of Outland – Flee the fel reavers who roam Hellfire Peninsula, dive deep beneath the swamps of Zangarmarsh to confront what lurks below, and clash with the demonic agents of the Burning Legion in the shadow of the Black Temple.
- Join the Fight as a Blood Elf or Draenei – The ranks of the Horde and the Alliance grow! Fight for the Horde as the blood elves, seeking a new source of the arcane power that once sustained them, or join the Alliance as the draenei, exiles from Outland in search of a new home.
- The Saga Unfolds Over Time – Content from the original game will roll out in phases, at a cadence paced for the WoW Classic community. Prepare for the opening of the Black Temple, gear up to confront the gods of Zul’Aman, and gather your allies to face the fury of the Sunwell.
- Burning Crusade Features Reborn – Prove your prowess in the Arena PvP system, enhance your gear with the Jewelcrafting profession, take to the skies over Outland on flying mounts, choose whether to seek the aid of the Aldor or the Scryers of Shattrath, and much more.
- Choose Your Era – Prior to Burning Crusade Classic’s release, WoW Classic players can decide whether to advance each of their characters to the Burning Crusade era with the rest of their realm, or to continue playing the original WoW Classic content on new Classic Era servers.
- Included With Existing World of Warcraft Subscriptions – As with WoW Classic, anyone who subscribes to World of Warcraft can also play Burning Crusade Classic at no additional cost, giving players the freedom to enjoy multiple eras of Azeroth at their own pace.