Although “stability” is the name of the game for many Switch hardware updates, this edition (9.0.0) is a bit more substantial.
Nintendo is adding a bunch of small-time enhancements to the Switch this patch cycle, including a search feature for the news channel (finally! Sometimes I hear about something cool and have a super hard time finding it), alarm notifications, touch screen sensitivity toggles (“standard and stylus”), better friend invite/join options (active invites are now separated), and a Fire Emblem: Three Houses-specific crash error.
So the big ones to talk about: the new alarm system and a Switch Lite-exclusive feature I didn’t mention above. The former allows a Switch-wide option to modify alarms (system settings -> notifications) within “supported software,” that allows the home button to light up: a feature the Switch had all along but wasn’t really utilized. The Switch Lite thing is a toggle to turn off system button inputs when you’re using a controller, so you don’t accidentally press buttons on the device.
You can read the full patch notes below.
Added the following system functionality:
- Added a search feature for the News Channel.
- Channels can be searched using filters or free text.
- Added “Display QR Code to Check In” to User Settings.
- You can display a QR Code on-screen to check in using your Nintendo Account.
- Alarm Notifications have been added to System Settings > Notifications.
- You can check or delete pre-set alarms.
- Alarms can be set up only within supported software (to be added at a later time).
- A controller firmware update may be required to use this feature.
- You can now configure touch screen sensitivity settings.
- Select between Standard and Stylus sensitivity (optimized for stylus input).
- Added the option to turn on/off the system button input (Nintendo Switch Lite only).
- When this setting is turned off the system no longer receives input from the console buttons, with the exception of the Capture and HOME Buttons, and can only be operated from a wirelessly paired controller (sold separately).
- This setting is on by default and can only be turned off if a compatible controller (sold separately) is wirelessly paired to the console.
- The setting will automatically turn back on when the console is restarted or after returning from sleep mode.
- Added “Online Play Invites” section to the User’s page.
- Invites from friends to join online play in supported software will be displayed in this section.
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.
- Resolved an issue where some users can’t start the Fire Emblem: Three Houses game, and get an error instead.