Win $20 worth of games!
Happy holidays, everyone! With the new year coming soon, it’s time for a look back at the past 12 months in video games. And what a year it’s been! Game of the year contenders released pretty much every month in 2017, and Nintendo’s Switch might have had the best launch year I’ve ever seen. In short, it’s been a great time to be a gamer, and I hope everyone found a game or three to enjoy over the holidays.
Just like last year, we’re going to take a look back at the most memorable games of 2017. It’s been a while since we’ve done one of these, but I hope everyone remembers how to play. Our grand prize this time is $20 worth of Steam credit, and big thanks to Niero for providing it. This is a worldwide contest, so everyone is eligible!
I’m going to switch up how you provide your answers this time, to make it a little less easy to look at another player’s paper. Instead of posting your answers in the comments, please post your Twitter handle below and tweet your answers to @Retroidpodcast with the hashtag #GRQ. If I can’t match up a Twitter answer with a comment below, that person will be disqualified and I’ll move on to the person with the next most correct answers.
We’ll run the contest until 11:59 PM Pacific time on January 3, so the winner should juuuust be able to take advantage of the winter sale. Results will be posted the day after the contest ends, but I’ll try and get the code to the winner as soon as possible after I tabulate the results. In the event of a tie, the winner will be the first tweet with the most correct answers. There may be some light spoilers for this year’s games, so if you obsess about that sort of thing, maybe don’t read the answers or comments below. Official rules for winning the Steam credit are below the quiz. With that out of the way, let’s get started!
The Great Retro Quiz! Reboot .03
Category: The Games of 2017
Number of questions: 25
1. It’s easy to forget, but Resident Evil 7: Biohazard came out in January this year. What type of decoration will Ethan Winters probably try to avoid from now on?
2. Mass Effect: Andromeda introduced a couple of new species to the franchise, along with some returning favorites. Which team member didn’t make the same journey as the others?
a.) Pelessaria B’Sayle
b.) Nakmor Drack
c.) Vetra Nyx
d.) Jaal Ama Darav
3. In Gravity Rush 2, what input do you use to cancel gravity?
a.) X button
b.) L1 Trigger
c.) Triangle button
4. Which faction does NOT appear in For Honor?
5. The Switch launch game Snipperclips was developed under a different title. What was it called while it was still in development?
c.) Chop Shop
d.) Scissor Me Timbers
6. True or False: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild actually sold more copies than there were Switches to play them on.
7. Which of these games were included on the SNES Classic edition?
8. Which Transformer would Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn be most likely to encounter?
b.) Rodimus Prime
9. Which of these Overwatch characters was NOT introduced in 2017?
a.) Akande Ogundimu
b.) Olivia Colomar
c.) Moira O’Deorain
d.) Orisa Oladele
10. Each of these games was remastered and/or re-released in 2017. List these in order of their source material’s U.S. release dates.
a.) Metroid: Samus Returns
b.) Full Throttle Remastered
c.) Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy
d.) Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap
e.) StarCraft Remastered
11. What do Yooka-Laylee, A Hat in Time, and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle all have in common (apart from cute, bouncy protagonists)?
12. If Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross were searching for a Pokémon in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, which would they most likely be looking for?
13. Which of these superheroes belongs to the Freedom Pals at the beginning of South Park: The Fractured But Whole?
a.) The Human Kite
c.) Captain Diabetes
d.) Super Craig
14. What does the “Y” in Agents of M. A. Y. H. E. M. stand for?
d.) None of the above
15. Which of these is a command Franklin can perform in Thimbleweed Park?
a.) Pick Up
16. The boss of the Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic Mania is loosely based on what food item?
17.) Which of these subclasses was introduced for the Hunter in Destiny 2?
18.) Who do you work for in Splatoon 2‘s Salmon Run mode?
a.) Callie and Marie
b.) Pearl and Marina
c.) Mr. Grizz
19.) What RPG crossed over with The Simpsons in one of 2017’s best memes?
a.) Persona 5
b.) Golf Story
c.) NieR: Automata
d.) DanganRonpa V3: Killing Harmony
20-25. Super Mario Odyssey contained lots of clothing options that were callbacks to earlier Mario roles. Where did each of these costumes originate?
Phew, what a year! I didn’t even have any room for questions about Friday the 13th, Wolfenstein, Cuphead, Shadow of War, Nidhogg 2, SteamWorld Dig 2, or ARMS, not to mention the tenth anniversary of franchises like Assassin’s Creed and BioShock!
Don’t forget to send your contest entries to @Retroidpodcast instead of posting them in the comments, but be sure to let me know who you are! Remember, you have a few days to get your answers in, but the sooner you enter the better your chances. One entry per person, please. All the boring legal stuff is below.