Welcome, everyone, to another edition of The Great Retro Quiz: the weekly feature that puts your knowledge of classic videogames to the test! *holding up applause sign*
This is the first quiz of 2008, so I needed to open with a bang. A Shoryuken-screaming, fireball-tossing, Dhalsim-pounding bang, to be exact.
With all the Street Fighter IV madness that has been going around as of late, it felt the perfect time to see how much you all knew about the original fighting masterpiece, Street Fighter II. True, it is not where the series technically began, but, let’s be honest, this is when it started getting really good.
I have some sad news, though: it seems my prize cache has run dry. Because of this, I only have my heartfelt admiration and undying respect to offer you should you do well. Actually, if you live close to the
I apologize for the lack of tangible rewards, but, don’t worry, prizes will once again be offered up in the future. In the meantime, you can still leave your answers in the comments to show off how much you know (or don’t know) to the world! Just check my community blog tomorrow (1/3) for the correct answers and to see how you did.
ROUND 1! HIT THE JUMP! Good luck!
The Great Retro Quiz! .16
Category: Street Fighter II
Number of questions: 25
Match the fighter with his/her country of origin:
2. E. Honda
5. True or False: Ryu fights barefoot in Street Fighter II.
6. What objects does Dhalsim wear around his neck?
What move did you just perform?
7. Sumo Head Butt
8. Flash Kick
9. Yoga Fire
10. Dragon Punch
11. Blanka had a traumatic childhood. What tragic event did he experience?
a. Car accident
b. Exposure to radioactive waste
c. Plane crash
d. Virus breakout
12. Which of the below is not one of Zangief’s special moves?
a. Spinning Clothesline
b. Pile Driver
c. Back Breaker
d. Full Nelson
13. You are playing Super Street Fighter II on the Super Nintendo. What button did you just press repeatedly to activate the below Chun-Li pose?
14. Ken’s gi: What color is it?
Match the dramatic exclamation with its respective illustration:
17. Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!
18. What eye does Sagat wear his eye patch over?
19. Which Street Fighter II character is the answer to the below (strangely accurate) equation?
b. T. Hawk
20. What actor played Guile in the infamous live-action Street Fighter movie circa 1994?
a. Dolph Lundgren
d. Jean-Claude Van Damme
Do you have an eye for detail? Match the item with the character whose stage it is prominently featured in?
22. Fighter jet
25. In Street Fighter II: The World Warrior for the Super Nintendo, what kind of vehicle is the object of demolition in one of the game’s bonus levels?
*Bonus question! Who is your favorite Street Fighter II fighter? (Hint: Any answer that is not Chun-Li is wrong!)
The Great Retro Quiz! Hall of Champions
.01: The Virtual Console (NES) – No prize
.02: The Virtual Console (SNES) – Aerox
.03: Bomberman – ShawnKelfonne
.04: The Legend of Zelda – nebyoolae
.05: The Virtual Console (N64) – Quisling
.06: Metroid – No prize
.07: Contra – Quisling
.08: Halloween edition – OpTiMaL
.09: Final Fantasy IV – Cacticus
.10: Super Mario Bros. – teknomcr
.11: Mega Man – Itchy Tasty
.12: Sonic the Hedgehog – prowlerx083
.13: Sports games – Brilliam
.14: Castlevania – Meta-Ridley/Cacticus
.15: The games of 2007 – DutyFree