The Contra series has been on my mind a lot this week. Not only did I play a ton of Super C and Contra III: The Alien Wars, but Konami had an expanded, playable version of the upcoming Contra 4 at E for All and, to put it mildly, the game is amazing.
So to celebrate this mad love for the series, I figured a retro quiz based on the original game was in order. And when I say “original” I actually mean Contra for the Nintendo Entertainment System, not the true original arcade iteration. So, keep that in mind when taking this quiz, as both versions have significant differences.
And since I was at E for
Make this Contra fanboy proud … good luck!
The Great Retro Quiz .07
Number of Questions: 20
1. Ridiculously easy question of the week! Contra was released by what game developer?
2. You know I had to ask about it! How many different buttons must be pushed in order to start with the Konami Code activated (one-player)?
3. … and when that code is entered, how many extra lives do you get?
4. Which of the following images is from the original NES Contra box art?
5. What color hair do Bill and Lance sport on the main title screen?
a. Blonde and blue
b. Blonde and red
c. Brown and red
d. Blonde and black
6. If Contra took place in the real world, what item or creature would represent your lives?
7. Contra analogy fun! Bill : Lance : : Mad Dog :
8. If you were to collect every power-up in the order they appear in the game, what is the first one you would pick up?
a. Spread gun
c. Rapid fire
d. Machine gun
9. How many attacking gun turrets are attached to the first boss?
10. Which of the below power-ups makes you invincible?
11. How many stages are there in the entire game?
12. Oh no! Bill has decided to turn to a life of crime. On a “Base” stage, which of the following enemy soldiers would he have to mug in order to steal a weapon upgrade?
13. What was the first game to utilize the famous Konami Code?
c. Life Force
14. You are having a weird dream involving soldiers with large wings and bubble-spewing floating heads (was it something you ate?). What stage’s boss from Contra must you be dreaming about?
a. Base 1
b. Base 2
d. Energy Zone
15. Contra math fun! [the number of rooms in Base 1] + [the number of rooms in Base 2] =
16. While you are watching a movie, a creature on-screen instantly reminds you of one of the enemies in the final stage of Contra. In fact, you awkwardly jump up and scream “Contra!” just to express your knowledge and love of the game. What creature did you most likely just see?
17. What is the European name for the Contra games?
a. Soldiers of Fortune
b. Alien Fighters
18. Emergency! A doctor needs to be called in to help heal Contra’s ailing final boss. Which section of the yellow pages should you hurriedly flip to?
19. What vehicle do Bill and Lance use to escape the exploding island at the very end of the game?
20. Ridiculously hard question of the week! What is the name of the island Contra takes place on?
The Great Retro Quiz! Hall of Champions
.01: The Virtual Console (NES) – No prize