To complete the “triforce” of Nintendo systems on the Virtual Console, this week’s quiz is all about the Nintendo 64 (the Triforce of Courage, if you will, to the NES’s Wisdom and SNES’s Power). But to make things less daunting and broad, only the N64 games available on the Wii’s download service will be featured.
Honestly, I feel bad for the Nintendo 64. Due to some unfortunate choices (cartridge format over disc-based) and a severe lack of games, the awesome system marked the start of Nintendo’s decade-long decline in the great videogame wars. ‘Tis a shame too, since the Nintendo 64 is home to some of the best games Nintendo has ever released, evidenced by some of the masterpieces featured on this quiz.
But how well do you know these classics of the videogame world? Sure, you may have played The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 a million times, but do you really remember them like you think you do?
Like always, if you want to be eligible for a prize (this week: a super rad Super Mario Bros. mushroom filled with sour candy), just post your answers in the comments and check my community blog tomorrow for the results (in the event of a tie, the magic “pull a name out of a hat” technique will be used)!
Now, let’s get started (quick, before anyone has time to complain that the Nintendo 64 is not technically “retro”) … good luck!
The Great Retro Quiz .05
Category: The Virtual Console (Nintendo 64)
Quick, match the lettered button to where it belongs on the Nintendo 64 controller!
5. What Nintendo 64 classic used the revolutionary Rumble Pack for the first time (and even came packed with it)?
a. Super Mario 64
b. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
c. F-Zero X
d. Star Fox 64
6. You wave and yell “Hey, Captain Falcon!” into a crowded group of F-Zero X characters. Who would (hopefully) wave back?
7. Link is a huge Peter, Paul, and Mary fan (who knew?). When going to defeat the boss Volvagia in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, what song would he most likely hum?
a. “Early Morning Rain”
b. “Blowin’ in the Wind”
c. “Light One Candle”
d. “If I Had A Hammer”
Two-part question! Because of a hardcore drinking problem, one of the original eight playable characters from Mario Kart 64 was just fired and replaced with someone new. By looking at the below character selection screen …
8. … who is the replacement character?
9. … who was fired?
c. Donkey Kong
d. Koopa Troopa
10. How many different vehicles can you pilot in Star Fox 64?
Match the Paper Mario ally with the situation he/she would be best equipped to handle:
11. Mario goes to a party full of strangers and wants to find out as much information about the guests as possible.
12. Mario blows a fuse from playing Halo 3 too much and wants to illuminate the room to get the power working again.
13. Mario is sick of Daisy asking him out all the time and wants to turn invisible to avoid talking to her.
14. Mario falls off the Mario Party 7 cruise ship and wants to swim back to shore to file a complaint.
15. What is the maximum amount of stars you can collect in Super Mario 64?
16. On that same note, when you do collect every star in the game, what familiar character can you visit on the roof of Peach’s castle?
17. You are playing Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Earth and reach a boss with left on your timer. Once your hit count combo reaches 341 you pick up four health upgrades and switch to your second gun. You then double-jump six times and change your targeting reticule from “manual” to “lock-on.” As you are doing this, a huge explosion rains down from above, knocking off 16% of your character’s health and forcing you to pull out your energy sword. Who is the developer of this classic import game?
18. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time analogy fun! Bolero : Fire : : Serenade :
19. By performing some tricky stunts on a specific course, what aquatic creature can you unlock in Wave Race 64 to replace your jet ski?
a. A dolphin
b. A whale
c. A seahorse
d. A leviathan
20. Based on his past actions, which character from Star Fox 64 would most likely be cast as Judas in the Corneria community theater presentation of Jesus Christ Superstar?
21. How many Star Spirits are there in Paper Mario?
22. To get a “perfect score” on any level of Yoshi’s Story, what must Yoshi eat 30 of?
23. In the battle mode of Mario Kart 64, what items represent the characters’ “health?”
24. Which of the following items from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time cannot be used by adult Link?
25. Why does Princess Peach beckon Mario to the castle in Super Mario 64?
a. She baked a cake for him
b. She wants to have a picnic
c. She is throwing a birthday party
d. She needs help hanging paintings
The Great Retro Quiz! Hall of Champions
.01: The Virtual Console (NES) – No winner