Raise your hand if you recall the NES classic Tecmo Bowl. Okay, that’s many of you…now how about its SNES sequel, Tecmo Super Bowl? Yeah, there we go! Everyone remembers how unstoppable Bo Jackson was in that game, and now, Tecmo is going to be bringing the arcade football experience back. Last week, they announced Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff for the DS.
According to a post by Stephen Totilo over at MTV Multiplayer, this game isn’t an entirely original title; it’s based off of Tecmo Super Bowl, and thus, it will be in 2D (yes!). Of course, because of EA’s blasted exclusivity deal with the NFL, the game won’t feature any real football teams or players — the teams “will be aligned with the cities from the original ‘Tecmo Bowl,’ with a few added to bring the team count to 32.” Here are some more details on the feature set, straight from Tecmo:
• Customizable Teams: Choose team colors, emblems, player names, team cities and abilities.
• Super Abilities: Tactically use over-the-top plays to take over a game.
• Wi-Fi and Wireless Multiplayer: Play against friends across the country or across the room.
• Stylus Control: Feel the action by using the stylus to control your player.
• Variety of Teams: Choose from 32 different teams.
• Cut-Scenes: All-new cut-scenes showing off the dramatic presentation of various plays.
• Customizable Playbook: Prepare for gridiron greatness by customizing your playbook.
• Music and Sound Effects: Turn up the heat on your opponent as you play the game to rock ‘n’ roll remixes of the most memorable tunes in football gaming history!
Man, I really wanted to use the ubiquitous Thurman Thomas “TOUCH DOWN” pic for this post, but its 4:3 dimensions made it too big. Oh well…I don’t have a DS, but I am definitely going to have to see if some of my DS-owning friends will pick this game up when it comes out this fall. What about you?