I didn’t expect this from Konami!
As much as Super Bomberman R missed the mark in some basic, fundamental ways, the developers have stuck with it, and I have to commend their post-launch support. The latest update is a big one, offering a much-smoother frame rate (if it isn’t hitting 60 frames per second now, you could’ve fooled me), tighter controls, difficulty adjustments, and several new maps. And yeah, it’s free.
The patch notes, in full:
- Four new VS stages have been added to the shop (White Cross, Lagoon, Max Speed, Power Zone). [See the gallery below]
- Two new series of accessories have been added to the shop (Crowns, Bombs).
- The frame rate of the entire game has been improved. We also made slight adjustments and improved the controls as well.
- Less lags are likelier to happen when every participant in the Online Battle have good network connection. (If you want to find opponents with good connection, set Other > Basic Settings > Network Settings to the very left.)
- Made it possible to press L/R to change the inclination of he map in the Story Mode. Other > Basing Settings will also allow you to fix the camera position as well.
- You can now choose the strength of the COM on the Multiplayer Battle Mode.
- The strength of the Five Dastardly Bombers on the Story Mode have been adjusted.
- The difficulties of Beginner and Normal have been reduced, making it easier to beat them.
- Adjusted the heights and slopes on some maps to improve the visibility.
- If you continue a certain number of times in the Story Mode, you will be able to continue without paying anymore gems.
- Changed the BP (Battle Point) increase/decrease rate for the League Battle.
- Fixed other various small bugs.
Some of these now-fixed issues were actually keeping me from coming back to Super Bomberman R, so this is serious progress. I’m still of the mind that it’s overpriced for what it is (a good but not great Bomberman game), though maybe I’ll change my tune with more updates like this one.
Ver. 1.3 Update Notice [Konami]