Disclaimer: That’s not one of the actual awards
Last night saw the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) hold its annual BAFTA Games Awards, which saw a cavalcade of excellent releases from 2020 line up in hopes of receiving recognition from Britain’s premier arts & media academy.
And when the curtain finally fell on the evening’s festivities, Supergiant Games’ Hades emerged with the heaviest trophy bag, having scooped a total of five awards in numerous categories. The fantasy dungeon-crawler took home the gongs for Artistic Achievement, Game Design, and Narrative, with actor Logan Cunningham bagging the Supporting Role award for his work voicing numerous underworld characters. Hades rounded out the night winning the coveted Best Game award – a string of deserved accolades for a brilliant release.
Despite having been nominated in a whopping 13 categories, Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us Part II only succeeded in taking home three awards: Best Animation, the public-voted EE Game of the Year, and actor Laura Bailey winning Leading Role for her excellent portrayal of dual protagonist/antagonist Abby Anderson. Nintendo’s Animal Crossing: New Horizons bagged Best Multiplayer and “Game Beyond Entertainment”. Flying the flag for the little guys, Phobia Entertainment won Best Debut for their gooey body-horror title, Carrion.
Congratulations to all of the winners and the nominees. There was much to dislike about 2020 but, at the very least, it cannot be denied that our favorite pastime absolutely knocked it out of the park with hit, after hit, after hit. Check out the full list of winners below.
- Animation: The Last of Us Part II
- Artistic Achievement: Hades
- Audio Achievement: Ghost of Tsushima
- Best Game: Hades
- British Game: Sackboy: A Big Adventure
- Debut Game: Carrion
- Evolving Game: Sea of Thieves
- Family: Sackboy: A Big Adventure
- Game Beyond Entertainment: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Game Design: Hades
- Multiplayer: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Music: Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Narrative: Hades
- Original Property: Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition
- Performer in a Leading Role: Laura Bailey (for The Last of Us Part II)
- Performer in a Supporting Role: Logan Cunningham (for Hades)
- Technical Achievement: Dreams
- EE Game of the Year: The Last of Us Part II