Update: The system is now rumored to be called Stream.
The rumors concerning a new HD console from Nintendo have ramped up to absurd proportions, to the point where it’s getting difficult to keep track of everything.
Some of the rumors sound like total BS, while some are more sensible. Here’s loads of them, so make your own mind up:
- Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, Konami, Activision, Rockstar/Take Two, Electronic Arts, Namco and Ubisoft have development kits, and all have at least one game in the works.
- Nintendo may not launch with any first party games, as it plans to really support third parties this time.
- It won’t have “Wii” in its name.
- Third party support extends to hardware, with a better storage solution being developed.
- Better download service.
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword may launch at the same time as Project Cafe. This could lead to another Twilight Princess situation.
- Hideo Kojima has been mentioned in conjunction with the system.
- Retro is working on a title that “everybody wants.” It’s been suggested that it could be Eternal Darkness 2.
- A Resident Evil game is in the works (when isn’t one in the works?)
- A StarFox title is being worked on.
- Grand Theft Auto V will be a Project Cafe title in addition to everything else.
- A mockup was discovered and posted to 4chan (see gallery).
Following this rumored leak IGN created this mock of what the system might look like:
Many of these latest rumors come from Gameolosophy, but similar or corroborative rumors have been popping up on other sites as well. A lot of the rumors make it sound almost too good, so don’t get overexcited, but the sheer volumeof gossip seems to suggest that the system itself is a real thing, even if its features may not be quite so amazing as rumor would have you believe.
Guess we just need to wait and see!