New matchmaking system discussed
There’s been some concern about where exactly PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is headed this year. The game is obviously still selling, and people are still playing it en masse, but where’s the roadmap?
Writing on Steam, the development team said that it mostly comes down to anti-cheat efforts needing to take priority over “some of the major features and systems” that are planned for PUBG.
“We would like to ask for our players’ generous understanding that despite the team’s eagerness to share what we have been planning and working on, the timing had to be changed. We do have a lot of exciting things that we want to share with you, including new content to provide more extensive battle royale experiences as well as improvements and modifications to create a deeper and more realistic gameplay.”
We’ll learn more next month when “the team will reveal what you can expect from us in the first half of 2018 in terms of our development and new content plans which, by the way, include a new map.”
The team is also plugging away at a system to “divide the matching pool depending on ping.” (This is a different approach than the previously-proposed plan to impose a “maximum ping limit.”) Under the new system, folks with lower pings will be prioritized in matchmaking.
“The team is expecting to improve the overall play experience by splitting the matching pool rather than restricting connection depending on ping. Preparations are underway to test this method in some regions, with first trials planned to start this week. Specific dates will be shared when ready.”
More immediately, a new update is being tested on PC right now:
- Replaced some fences in Miramar to unbreakable fences or walls in order to optimize the client.
- When the player is riding in the airplane, they will no longer be able to see the inside of the airplane. This is to improve the early game client and server performance
- Other players will be visible once they jump out of the airplane
- When riding the airplane, you can check the number of remaining passengers via the new UI element at the bottom left of the screen
- When reporting someone through the replay system, we now receive a 1 minute replay file centered on the point of your report
- It is impossible to report through a replay file which has been created longer than a week ago
- It is impossible to report the same player multiple times in the same replay file
- Fixed the issue where the player would die from falling when vaulting and climbing
- Fixed the issue where after reconnecting to the game, the player would get a glitched view when using ADS on their weapon
- Fixed the issue where the player didn’t receive any damage after entering a vehicle from a prone position and then exiting while the vehicle was moving
- Fixed the issue where after entering the vehicle (passenger seat) from prone position and using heal/boost items, the player was shown using the items in prone position instead of sitting down
- Made changes to prevent the reduced heal/boost time cheat
No more peeking inside the plane! It’s the end of an era.
PC 1.0 Update #6 [Steam]