Breakout is a perfect example of how the simplest games can be the most timeless. In all its many varied forms, it’s still the same wonderful, basic experience of breaking blocks and moving on.
Today, a new PSP Mini game offers yet another version. Called BreakQuest, the game features a hundred different levels of block destruction and a physics system that the press release affirms is the bees knees. I’m not sure what kind of previously unknown physics this has that every prior game in the genre did not, but I suspect that it has something to do with collisions.
I think I’d have to see a video of this in action before I really knew what to make of the physics stuff. But, what the hell? It’s another Breakout clone in the vein of Arkanoid. How could that possibly be bad?
Check out a bunch of screens in the gallery below.
PlayStation “minis” game BreakQuest heading North American PSP and PS3!
April 4, 2010 – Beatshapers is proud to announce that BreakQuest, a PlayStation “mini” title now available on the PlayStation®Portable and PlayStation®3 platforms in North American PlayStation®Store for US$3.99!
BreakQuest is a new concept break-¬out style game featuring vibrant graphics, sparkling visual effects and funky sound. In addition to the energizing gameplay with a superior physics concept and advanced collision system creates never-seen-before game experience.
• Enjoy 100 unique levels especially adapted for PSP widescreen. All of them with their own colorful designs, crystal clear sound and elements behavior. Arkanoid fans must check this out.
• Feel the full physics engine with advanced collisions. This allows for a completely new game experience in a freely shaped world and physically responding environment. Breakout was never so flexible.
• Discover never seen before power ups and power downs, including 9 different weapons and much much more. Breakout sat the basis, Arkanoid improved the concept, BreakQuest takes a step beyond.
• Flow with the music of the professional gaming music group ‘Maniacs of Noise’. Also featuring lots of original, powerful, fun, high quality sound effects.
• Command the ship of your choice from 10 different models. Control its fully deformable bouncing surface to save the world, or just to have some fun. Master the ball and clear the latest bricks with the Gravitor.