Should PlayStation 2 start sweating?
Nintendo’s latest financial earnings report has revealed that Nintendo Switch has hit an amazing 103 million sales milestone, which sees the hybrid hardware’s installation base surpass even that of the company’s incredibly successful 2006 console, Nintendo Wii (101 million).
The three months ending December 31, 2021, saw the sale of an additional 10.67 million Switch units, bringing the console’s lifetime sales to 103.54 million. In addition to topping the sales of the Wii, Nintendo Switch has now even surpassed the lifetime sales of Sony’s groundbreaking PlayStation console (around 102 million units).
Switch is now the single most successful console in Nintendo history, sitting just behind the company’s handheld “families” (Game Boy & Game Boy Color combined, and all Nintendo DS consoles combined). While currently gaining on the runaway success of the PlayStation 4 platform (116 million units), Switch still has quite the sales push in order to surpass PlayStation 2 (at least 155 million units) as the best-selling console of all time. But, with an industry-wide shortage of components hampering production, this result is becoming increasingly difficult to achieve.
In addition to Switch hardware sales, the latest financial quarter saw new software sales of 85.41 million units. Recent releases Pokemon Shining Pearl & Pokemon Brilliant Diamond have already sold a combined 13.97 million copies since their release in November 2021. As its stands, racer Mario Kart 8 Deluxe remains the best-selling Switch title of all time, having bagged over 43 million sales to date.
For curiosity’s sake, here are the 10 best-selling Nintendo Switch releases to date.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 43.35 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 37.62 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 27.40 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 25.80 million
- Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 23.90 million
- Super Mario Odyssey – 23.02 million
- Super Mario Party – 17.39 million
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 14.33 million
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Pokemon Shining Pearl – 13.97 million
- Ring Fit Adventure – 13.53 million