Physical game sales up as COVID lockdown continues
As the UK continues to mire in poorly planned, poorly managed lockdown legislation, physical video game sales continue to rise. In fact, as reported by GamesIndustry.biz, total physical sales are up over 25% on the same time frame last year, mostly carried by a raft of sales on a variety of Switch releases.
This week’s Top Ten sees social sim Animal Crossing: New Horizons retain the coveted number one spot for a third week running, closely followed by the four-year-old Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and perennial Holiday seller Just Dance 2021 rounding out the Top Three.
Mega-sellers such as Take-Two’s Grand Theft Auto V, Activision’s Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, and Electronic Arts’ FIFA 21 are accounted for, but otherwise it’s Nintendo all the way, with the Top 10 filled out with Ring Fit Adventure, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, and Minecraft.
U.K. video game sales chart w/e: January 16, 2021
(Chart reflects in-store physical sales only)
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Nintendo
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Nintendo
3. Just Dance 2021 – Ubisoft
4. Grand Theft Auto V – Take-Two Interactive
5. Minecraft – Nintendo
6. FIFA 21 – Electronic Arts
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War – Activision
8. Super Mario 3D All-Stars – Nintendo
9. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – Nintendo
10. Ring Fit Adventure – Nintendo
U.K. video game charts [GamesIndustry.biz]