Okay. I’ll admit it. I don’t understand how magazines have found a place as an item in Metal Gear Online. Whenever I sit down to play a rousing multiplayer session of a favorite shooter, I tend to stick to guns and things that explode — the stuff that has the potential to kill an opponent. I get the novelty of a girly magazine, but not its viability. Is there really any sort of satisfaction that comes with watching a character getting distracted by a magazine? I know, stealth is part of the game, but c’mon … it’s a magazine — not a bullet.
Regardless of what I think, Metal Gear Online’s ‘SCENE’ expansion will reward players with three new skills, one of which is a skill targeted to the player always caught up in a magazine. It’s called “Charm” and to earn the skill, you need to be “distracted by a magazine 100 times.” After unlocking the skill, you’re salute taunt will function just like a magazine.
The two other skills, CQC EX and Toughness, are unlocked by using the skills associated with the name. CQC EX allows for instant counterattacks against anyone trying getting personal with you. Toughness decreases “recover time” and allows you to sustain knockdown blows.
In addition to skills, new emblems have been added. Hit the break for the press release to learn how to unlock them. Also, watch out for more savings. Konami announced that all three expansions would be available for $17.99 tomorrow, when ‘SCENE’ finally releases.
KONAMI REVEALS NEW SKILLS AND EMBLEMS FOR
METAL GEAR® ONLINE’S SCENE EXPANSION
Konami unveiled today, new character skills and new top ranking emblems for the upcoming SCENE Expansion, the latest Metal Gear Online expansion pack for the ultimate squad-based, tactical shooter based on the popular Metal Gear Solid franchise. Available on March 17th, 2009, SCENE Expansion will contain a vast amount of content that is sure to satisfy and excite Metal Gear Online players – including special characters, maps, skills, gear, the ability to play as a customizable character, and more. SCENE Expansion can be purchased separately for $9.99 and as a bundle with the second expansion MEME, for $14.99. Additionally, consumers will be able to purchase all three expansions – GENE, MEME and SCENE – in a one of-a-kind bundle for $17.99. All three options are available via Metal Gear Online’s in-game shop and Konami’s shop (https://mykonami.net/mgo/). Players can also purchase all Metal Gear Online content through PayPal, or through the upcoming PlayStation® Network Wallet payment system, which will be available soon.
Please find new details on the latest content of SCENE Expansion below and for the new assets, please visit our media download site at: https://www.konami.com/downloads/:
3 New Skills
- CQC (Close Quarters Combat) EX – The player must have the CQC Mastery Lv3 equipped and execute 200CQC maneuvers in order to earn this skill. Once the skill is earned, whenever a CQC attack is attempted on your character, a counter move will automatically be executed.
- Toughness – The player will need to have either a knockback, knockdown or blow away type attack executed on them 100 times in order to earn this skill. Once earned, your character will be able to endure knockdown attacks and recover time will be decreased.
- Charm – To earn this skill, which is similar to Mei-Ling’s, your character must be by a magazine 100 times. Once earned, holding the salute pose has the effects as a magazine. The character salute motion also changes to three animations.
New Top Elite Emblems
A number of New Top Elite emblems will be made available. Earn the emblems and will receive a free in-game t-shirt. Here are two to check out!
- Fighting Fish – Unlock by playing a series of Deathmatches.
- Arctic Skua – Unlock by playing through a series of Solo Capture missions.
Metal Gear Online is the online multi-player player experience that is included free in the retail version of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, developed exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.