PS3 firmware update 3.70 is now available, and while I’d usually make many sarcastic references to the frequency of updates and the shittiness of the PS3’s download capabilities, I’ve instead got something better to do — bitch about the fact that Sony is expecting people to pay in order to have their console finished.
The fact that Trophies have to “sync” before you look at them is pathetic, making an already pointless feature even less worthwhile. Sony has realized that automatic syncing is a good way to fix the issue. Unfortunately, it believes we should pay to have stuff fixed now, as the highly requested feature is exclusive to PlayStation Plus subscribers.
This is the modern videogame industry, folks — where gamers need to pay a subscription fee to get a console’s features working properly.
Auto uploads for save data backups are also available for 3.70, and again, it’s a Plus exclusive. The peons get very little of worth in this mandatory download, concerned almost entirely as they are with movie playback. Check below for the list of updates.
- Auto Trophy sync (PS Plus).
- Auto uploads for save data (PS Plus).
- PlayStation Store recommendation feature.
- “TV/Video Services” category added to XMB for things like Netflix and Hulu Plus.
- 3D support for java-based BD features, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output support for BD movies.
- 3D digital MPO photos now supported.
At this point, the Sony loyalists are invited to continue eating Sony-flavored shit and telling us all it’s gravy.