Mass Effect 2 PC details have dropped today, bringing somewhat decent news all round. Both the system requirements and the DRM situation have been revealed today, so those of you that use the word “rig” without any shred of shame and have a love for all things BioWare are in for a treat.
The system requirements are after the jump, but it’s the DRM situation that is most pleasant. We all know that Electronic Arts has a ludicrously huge bonk-on for SecuROM and loads the glorified malware onto almost everything it ships. Well, it seems that Mass Effect 2 will not be shipping with the same restrictive crap as last time and instead take a cue from Dragon Age. A simple disc check will be required to activate the game, and you’re all set!
This is of course lovely news for PC users who are sick of this DRM nonsense, a fad that slowly seems to be dying out now that publishers are realizing that is doesn’t stop piracy, but does manage to piss off paying customers. Hopefully the likes of SecuROM can be eradicated in due course, especially if such supporters as EA are shying away from it.
Hit the jump for those requirements, in any case.
PC MINIMUM System Requirements
- OS = Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
- Processor = 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
- Memory = 1 GB RAM for Windows XP / 2 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Hard Drive = 15 GB
- DVD ROM = 1x Speed
- Sound Card = DirectX 9.0c compatible
- Direct X = DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (included)
- Input = Keyboard / Mouse
- Video Card = 256 MB (with Pixel Shader 3.0 support). Supported Chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater; ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater. Please note that NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400, and 9300; ATI Radeon HD3200, and HD4350 are below minimum system requirements. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.
PC RECOMMENDED System Requirements
- Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
- 2.6+ GHz Cure 2 Duo Intel or equivalent AMD CPU
- 2 GB RAM
- ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, or better recommended
- 100% DirectX compatible sound card and drivers
- DirectX August 2008