Also three free Mercedes-Benz cars
[Update: Nintendo has confirmed an August 27 launch for the update in North America as well. Find the full list of improvements below.]
Welcome Nintendo to the modern age of gaming with downloadable content! Hey, at least these three Mercedes-Benz car add-ons are free. Well free to get, it’s still advertisement for Mercedes. So you know, yuck.
Anyway, the real news here is that the map display can now appear on the TV screen if that’s what you desire in Mario Kart 8. I’m all for that, as having the map display on the Wii U GamePad was annoying since I don’t like using it all that much.
Note that this update will be out on August 27 for the Japanese version at the moment, but expect this to hit other territories soon as well. Well, the map display update at least, along with some other fixes.
- Drivers will now have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races.
- The order of the menu after each race will be changed to “Next Race”, followed by “Watch Highlight Reel”.
- The game will remember the most recent kart options that were selected, even if the Wii U system was powered down.
- Users will be able to change options of other players’ Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to different characters or actions.
- A score screen will be added so players can see how many coins they’ve collected, the win-loss record of their online battles and their frequently used characters.
- Improved the stability of the online connection to enhance user experience during online battles.