Yesterday, I wrote a post tackling those who were bawling their eyes out over Left 4 Dead 2. It looks like, however, I may be taking on an entire army, since a Left 4 Dead 2 protest group has formed and it consists of 13,011 whiny crybabies. Could I finally have taken on more than I can handle? Or could I just say the word “sequel” and watch them all fall their knees and sob like children?
The boycott group was formed on Steam and they have made a list of injustices about which they are strongly complaining. This is because videogames sequels are incredibly serious business, and the existence of Left 4 Dead 2 will give everyone cancer. Here is the list of crimes they believe Valve committed:
- Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
- Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release
- The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
- The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
- The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
- L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1’s visual aesthetic
- The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome
- L4D2’s release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
- The community has lost faith in Valve’s former reputation for commitment to their games post-release
I think my favorite is the face that it’s “too bright,” which is not only nitpicking horsesh*t, but is completely wrong. Every smart person knows zombies are scarier during the day. The rest of the complains are also pretty weak. Are they seriously complaining about the “fiddle-based” music? Yes they are. The only complaint that holds water is the first one, and we still don’t know how much further support Valve is giving L4D anyway.
Left 4 Dead. It is super cereal business, guys.