If you absolutely need an R-Type game on your PSP Go, your window of opportunity is rapidly closing. Irem is removing almost all of its content from the PlayStation Network, meaning eight PSP games and four PS1 games will no longer be purchasable come August 11. Similarly, all demos, downloadable content, videos, and themes related to these games will be gone forever.
And those PlayStation Home Lounges? Nine of them related to these games will close on September 1, with sales ceasing in every store but the Doki Doki Suikoden lounge on August 1. That leaves just the Doki Doki Suikoden and Pachipara lounges, the latter likely due to the 3DS game they’re working on for that series.
See, this is the problem people have with digital distribution. Irem has made no comment as to why this is happening, and now this content is no longer available for purchase. Sure, you could always buy the physical releases, but still, the impermanence of digital availability makes me hesitant to support a download service. Here is a list of what will be gone forever:
- R-Type Tactics (PSP)
- Mousukesu based on Carton-kun (PSP)
- Bumpy Trott Beagle Battle Tournament (PSP)
- Ikuze! Gensan Yuyake Daikou Monogatari (PSP)
- R-Type Tactics II Operation Bitter Chocolate (PSP)
- Sengoku Esatsu Yugi Hototogisu Ran (PSP)
- Sengoku Esatsu Yugi Hototogisu Dairan (PSP)
- Narisokonai Eiyuutan: Story of the Sun and Moon (PSP)
- R-Types (Game Archives)
- R-Type Delta (Game Archives)
- Gussun Paradise (Game Archives)
- Irem Arcade Classics (Game Archives)
Irem pulls games from PlayStation Store, closes Home lounges [Andriasang via Japanator]