Get out of that tent ASAP
If there has been one objective that’s been consistent throughout the Animal Crossing franchise, it’s paying off your mortgage. It’s the driving force behind a series without much drive, and for players who stick it out, they know paying down that mortgage means more room and more room means more stuff.
After you arrive at your island and find yourself the perfect spot for your tent, Tom Nook will present you with an itemized bill covering everything you’re starting out with. As with every other bill you’ll get in this game, there is no time limit on when you have to pay it off. However, given the size of the tent, many people will probably grow out of it right away.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons makes it easy to pay off this first loan with Nook Miles, the new currency that’s earned through everyday island activities. The grand total of the bill is 49,800 bells or just 5,000 Nook Miles, and despite being given two totals for the different currencies, you can actually only use miles to pay this first loan off. If you want to get out of that tent and into a house ASAP, I’ve compiled a list of activities you can complete right away to earn enough miles.
- Sign up for the Nook Mileage Program – 500 Points
- Take a picture with your NookPhone- 300 Points
- Make a design with your NookPhone – 300 Points
- Edit your passport with your NookPhone – 300 Points
- Talk to your neighbors – 300 Points
- Post on the bulletin board – 300 Points
- Pull 50 weeds and sell them – 300 Points
- Sell something – 300 Points
- Sell 20 fruit – 300 Points
- Pull 200 total weeds – 500 Points
- Use your NookPhone multiple times – 300 Points
- Spend 5,000 bells – 300 Points
- Break a tool – 300 Points
- Catch 10 fish – 300 Points
- Catch 10 bugs – 300 Points
- Find furniture hidden in a tree – 300 Points
- Catch 10 fish in a row without letting one escape – 300 Points
All of these activities can be completed within the first three hours of setting up your island. Once you hit 5,000 Nook Miles, talk to Tom Nook to pay the loan off and have him set you up with your first house for the low loan price of 98,000 bells. Sadly, it looks like this first loan will be the only one you’ll be able to pay off with miles.
Of course, if you want to stay in your tent you can. Just know that storage space is tied to how big your dwelling is.