As the quest to improve Horizon Zero Dawn on PC continues, Guerrilla has dropped its third major patch since the August 7 launch.
It’s yet another lengthy patch with some provisos: alongside of the bug fixes is the implicit statement from the development team that there is more work to do. The currently known major issues are still very much on their radar (most notably the specific GPU/hardware optimization problems), and some crash fixes are already implemented as of today.
Two major GPU bugs (a resource leak and a hang) should shore up the general instability of the game, as well as at least four crashes that would trigger off of specific instances. The DLC area is also a little smoother (snow particles were giving players trouble in the past), as is the operation of 4K scaling (no need to go back to the menu to swap this back every time after booting it up).
Horizon Zero Dawn 1.03 [Reddit]
Horizon Zero Dawn PC Patch 1.03
- Some players are experiencing an out of memory error during the game optimization process.
- Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering or HDR not working correctly.
- Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
- Fixed a GPU resource leak which could build up over time and cause instability.
- Fixed a GPU hang that caused a crash that could occur when Asynchronous Compute was used.
- Fixed a crash when AI would try to aim at an invalid position.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when sound obstruction was calculated in highly detailed areas.
- Fixed a crash that would occur when moving the game to a monitor with different DPI settings while in the menu.
- Fixed an issue where some players would crash on startup due to incorrect memory allocation.
- Fixed a GPU hang that would occur when the window was resized to a very small size.
- Fixed a progression issue where some players would remain a child and not transition to adult Aloy.
- Fixed an issue where snow deformation was not working correctly in the Frozen Wilds area.
- Fixed an issue where the Concentration skill could stop working.
- 4K Scaling – Fixed an issue where the game wouldn’t render at 4K properly on boot.
- Frame Rate Limiter – Improved Frame Rate Limiter functionality to be more accurate.
- Localization – Localized specific error messages.
- Windows Version Check – The game checks if Windows 10 Build 1809 or above is used (lower versions cause instability in DirectX 12).
- Minimum Spec Warning – Improved minimum spec warning message and options.
- Saving Issue Warning – Clarified text that is displayed when you do not have access to your My document folder or enough disk space.
- Player Profile Validation – The player profile is now validated and corrupt profiles (caused by manual editing or tweak tools) rejected.