It was…a show
So Gamescom is here: but instead of sending our writers out to Cologne, Germany, it’s being held virtually. As one does in 2020!
Yes, just about every tradeshow has been blown up by the events of this year, but Geoff Keighley put on his PR-face and gave us a livestream anyway in the form of Gamescom Opening Night Live. It had a few new announcements in a sea of ads and trailers for games we already knew about. In other words, it was a very “summer of 2020 stream” and par for the course.
After hyping up the event for weeks on end, Geoff did warn us at the start that it “wasn’t going to shock and awe,” and he was right! As our own Jordan Devore told me after it was over: “that stream was a lot!” A lotta air time.
You can find a full recap of everything major that happened below: you might find some scraps.
- Nintendo Switch is getting Jurassic World Evolution: Complete Edition on November 3
- Here’s another look at Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War’s campaign drama
- Unknown 9: Awakening announced for PC and next-gen consoles
- Doom Eternal’s first story DLC rips, tears, and drops in October
- Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead coming later in 2020
- I won’t say no to another Sam & Max revival
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands is out October 27
- Stormground is a new Warhammer game and it’s coming to Switch
- Star Wars Squadrons lets you battle in a galaxy far, far away
- Star Wars is invading The Sims 4 with Journey to Batuu
- I can’t skip Twelve Minutes now that Willem Dafoe is in it
- Mafia Definitive Edition is ready to welcome you to the family
- Lemnis Gate is a galaxy-brain shooter stuck in a time loop
- Struggling puts two co-op players in one mutated body
- Override 2: Super Mech League dukes it out on PS5 and Xbox Series X later this year
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga takes the high ground in spring 2021
- Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition is out in October
- Fall Guys has cool medieval levels lined up for Season 2
- Respawn’s Medal of Honor VR game actually looks pretty damn cool
- Turrican Anthology resurrects the legendary Amiga classics
- Here’s a better look at some of Destiny 2: Beyond Light’s new features
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart shows off seven minutes of dimension-hopping gameplay