The time has finally come for Animal Crossing: New Horizons‘ latest update.
Although I often find myself twiddling my thumbs with this game for long periods of time, updates usually provide at least a week of fun: patch 1.4.0 is no exception. This time the second summer update has added a fireworks show, which will be a seasonal event along with various new seasonal items.
Thankfully, Nintendo has addressed a huge issue within the content creation community: the camera. While folks were using a glitch to eliminate the HUD to craft more interesting Animal Crossing videos, Nintendo was keen to patch it out these past few months. Now, they’ve seemingly relented with an official option: if you press in the right stick you can eliminate the guide on the UI.
You’ll also be able to go to sleep and meet Luna, which allows you to “upload a dream of your island to the internet.” Read: this is essentially that long-awaited backup system on top of the added dream island functionality. You just need to be a Switch Online member, and according to Nintendo: “Save data cannot be restored at a customer’s discretionary timing. If your system is broken, you must contact Nintendo Support to start a repair request. If you have lost your system, you must contact Nintendo Support.”
You cannot, however, transfer to a different system. That featured is “planned within 2020.”
Animal Crossing: New Horizons [Nintendo]
Ver. 1.4.0 (Released July 30, 2020)
The software has been updated if you see “Ver. 1.4.0” in the upper-right corner of the title screen.
- General updates
- A new seasonal event, Fireworks Shows, has been added.
- New limited-time seasonal items have been added to Nook Shopping.
- A new feature was added to the NookPhone Camera app, allowing you to turn off the guide information by pressing in the R Stick.
- The “funny glasses” item now matches up with player skin color variations.
- Online connectivity features
- A new feature allows you to sleep in a bed and meet Luna. You can upload a dream of your island via the internet or visit other uploaded dream islands.
- New features have been added to the Custom Designs Portal. You can now search by design name or type. You can now create a list of favorite creators.
- A new feature has been added for backing up save data to Nintendo’s servers via the internet. You can use backed up save data with the island backup restoration service if your Nintendo Switch system is lost or broken.
- You must be a member of Nintendo Switch Online and enable backups within Animal Crossing: New Horizons to use this new feature.
- Save data cannot be restored at a customer’s discretionary timing. If your system is broken, you must contact Nintendo Support to start a repair request. If you have lost your system, you must contact Nintendo Support.
- This feature does not allow save data (island data) to be transferred to a different system. We currently plan on adding a save data transfer feature within 2020. Information on the feature and timing will be announced at a future time.
- Learn more about the island backup restoration service.
- Fixed issues
- Other adjustments were made to improve the game play experience.