The revolution may have begun on loot boxes, or at least as far as EA is concerned. While there isn’t truly a victory in the case of Star Wars Battlefront II as the boxes are only “temporarily” on pause, the developers of Need For Speed Payback have revised the way they approach their take on it.
You can view the entire changelog below, but the gist is that you now get more in-game XP for playing, which results in more rewards. This is by way of just plain giving out more progress and allowing more avenues to actually earn XP. One of the most contentious ideas, the fact that cars are upgraded with cards, remains intact.
As the industry continues to grow, EA of course once again goes overboard with a mechanic several other developers have gotten less flak for. Between them and WB, they’ve killed off a lot of bad ideas like online passes due to justified fan outrage.
Progression updates rolling out [Reddit]
- Increased the amount of REP awarded by taking part in events.
- Increased the amount of Bank awarded by taking part in events.
- Bait crates now reward increased REP.
- Bait crates now reward increased Bank.
- Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased REP.
- Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased Bank.
- Air Suspension will now appear more frequently within Shipments.
- Slightly increased REP and Bank for finishing an event outside of first place.