A Zelda remaster and another Splatoon were the big things
Nintendo just had a real Direct today and it was fast!
Some of you probably had a kid since the last real Direct or had some other major life change. I mean, collectively, we’ve been through a lot. But Nintendo is back today, and they ran through some announcements rapidly over the course of roughly 50 minutes.
The kickoff was the announcement of Pyra and Mythra in Smash Ultimate, which is already soliciting…opinions! We also got cold hard release dates and windows for elusive games like No More Heroes 3, which is always nice.
But the big bombshells at the end were a Skyward Sword HD remaster and the existence of Splatoon 3. It might not be what everyone wanted (the “Breath of the Wild 2 showing” that was on like every leak bingo card or “insider info deck” did not happen, and Nintendo even apologized for it), but it was a Direct again, half a million people tuned in 10 minutes before it even aired.
It’s nice to see Nintendo back in the Direct groove.
A full recap of the February 17, 2021 Nintendo Direct:
- Pyra and Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are coming to Smash Ultimate
- Famicom Detective Club titles headed west on Switch for the first time
- Nintendo Switch is getting in on the Fall Guys fun this summer
- The Outer Wilds will destroy the universe on Switch this Summer
- Samurai Warriors V confirmed for Switch this summer
- Legend of Mana is coming to Nintendo Switch and you can turn off enemy encounters
- Capcom Arcade Stadium launches today on Nintendo Switch
- Mario Golf Super Rush will have you running to Switch this June
- No More Heroes 3, out in August, brings back odd jobs, which are used to ‘pay entry fees’ for boss battles
- Who needs Gotham Knights when you have DC Super Hero Girls Teen Power?
- In-game Mario merch is coming to Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Miitopia is bringing brand new adventures to Nintendo Switch
- Neon White might be the most out-there game in today’s Nintendo Direct
- Knockout City is a dodgeball-style sports title coming from Electronic Arts
- Star Wars: Hunters is a free-to-play online shooter coming this year
- Project Triangle Strategy is a new HD-2D action-RPG with a Switch demo today
- World’s End Club, out in May on Switch, looks like a fine follow-up to Danganronpa
- Ninja Gaiden Master Collection is slicing up Switch this year
- Zelda Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity expansion pass features new weapons, characters, stages, and more
- Hades deserves a physical edition and it’s getting one on Nintendo Switch
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD has button and motion controls
- Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville is coming to Switch with a $40 Complete Edition in March
- If it’s still on your bucket list, Stubbs the Zombie is getting a remaster on March 16
- Today’s Nintendo Direct ‘one last thing’ is Splatoon 3