Basketball is a sport where players toss a spherical object into a large circular hole. Every time the rubbery ball makes it through the hole, the player earns seven points (and then flips a coin for opportunity to punt a soccergoal). As with all sports, basketball has several levels of competition. The highest is the NBA and several studios make videogames based on the organization. And, hey, 2K Sports just made a new one!
Earlier this morning, 2K Games announced a fresh downloadable title called NBA 2K10: Draft Combine. It’s a game where players create a fledgling NBA star and train him in hard-court wizardry. It begins and ends with the Draft Combine, which is something like Hogwarts for youthful basketball players. At the end of Draft Combine, players will be able to import their graduated pugilist into NBA 2K10’s My Player mode (whatever that is).
Draft Combine has features. The list includes (or doesn’t include) things like basketballs, online leaderboards, neckbeards, digital mentors, five-on-five action, and tennis shoes. If you’re curious, the full announcement and official feature information for the game is located below the fold.
NBA 2K10: Draft Combine launches this September on Xbox LIVE (400 Banana Dollars) and PlayStation Network ($4.99).
2K Sports Announces NBA 2K10: Draft Combine, a Totally New Downloadable Game Experience
Get a taste of NBA 2K10’s all-new gameplay and My Player career mode while living the life of an NBA hopeful going through the real NBA Draft Combine.
New York, NY – July 28, 2009 – 2K Sports today announced NBA® 2K10: Draft Combine, a download-only title that will provide pre-season fun for basketball fans leading up to the fall launch of NBA 2K10. Planned for release this September on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®Network for PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system,, NBA 2K10: Draft Combine will allow fans to create their own custom player with the utmost detail and, for the first time in the NBA 2K series, begin their career by experiencing the on-court life of an NBA hopeful going through the NBA Draft Combine at the world-renowned, ATTACK Athletics gym in Chicago.
“We’re giving our dedicated NBA 2K fans an incredible opportunity with NBA 2K10: Draft Combine,” said Greg Thomas, senior vice president of sports development for 2K. “Gamers will have exclusive access to online content and get to test drive NBA 2K10’s new gameplay features, advanced player progression system and the all-new My Player career mode before the game launches this fall.”
Features of NBA 2K10: Draft Combine include:
- Building custom players by working with a mentor, the 2K Insider, and increasing their NBA stock through a variety of challenging basketball drills and 5-on-5 games.
- Over 300 different signature customizations, including player-specific shooting animations, dunk and dribble packages and more to allow each created player to have his own unique personal style.
- Ability to strengthen all parts of the created player’s game with a variety of drills, such as shooting, post offense and defense, attacking the basket, dribbling, challenging shots, boxing out for rebounds and more to progress through the NBA Draft Combine.
- Organized games that will allow players to gain valuable skill points and offer a variety of specific in-game objectives that will need to be accomplished in order to gain them. At the end of each game, a full analysis will be available for gamers to review their player’s performance and strategize their further improvement.
- All players created in NBA 2K10: Draft Combine will wear a special patch on their uniform throughout the rest of that player’s career to denote that they have completed the NBA Draft Combine.
- Online leaderboards to track the highest ranking custom built players, and where a player stacks up against the competition.
- Opportunity to unlock special achievements on Xbox 360 and trophies for PLAYSTATION 3 system.
- Fans can take their custom built players from NBA 2K10: Draft Combine and use them in the all-new My Player career mode in NBA 2K10 launching this fall, allowing them to continue their journey of becoming an NBA legend.
NBA 2K10: Draft Combine, developed by Visual Concepts, is planned for release in North America, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and India this September on Xbox LIVE Arcade for Xbox 360 (400 Microsoft Points) and PlayStation Network for PLAYSTATION 3 system ($4.99). For more information about NBA 2K10: Draft Combine, please visit www.2ksports.com/games/nba2k10dc.