Guess who’s back? Back again…
The final edition of the UK Charts for 2019 has been released, revealing that this year’s Christmas number one is Activision’s blockbuster shooter Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, fending off strong opposition from Electronic Arts’ FIFA 20 and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.
Nintendo has had a very successful Holiday period in the UK, with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Luigi’s Mansion 3, and Pokemon Sword all holding high Top Ten positions, while numerous other Switch releases hover in and around the Top 20. Party favourite Just Dance 2020 also sits in the Top Ten, ironically having a seemingly bigger impact for Ubisoft this year than its awful AAA megabucks shooter Ghost Recon: Breakpoint.
The REAL story, however, is the return of perennial UK Charts poster boy Crash Bandicoot, who has not one, but two titles smashing their way into the Top Ten in platforming compendium N.Sane Trilogy and kart racing remake Nitro-Fueled. Nice to see the mad marsupial back on the grid, it wouldn’t be a true British yuletide season without Crash Bandicoot, a Bond movie on the T.V., and the impending threat of a economically disastrous new year.
U.K. video game sales chart w/e: December 21, 2019
(Chart reflects in-store physical sales only)
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – Activision
2. FIFA 20 – Electronic Arts
3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order – Electronic Arts
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Nintendo
5. Luigi’s Mansion 3 – Nintendo
6. Pokémon Sword – Nintendo
7. Just Dance 2020 – Ubisoft
8. Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo Olympic Games 2020 – Sega
9. Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy – Activision
10. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled – Activision
U.K. video game charts [GamesIndustry.biz]